Maestronet Forums

Chinese Instruments?

Laurel

I'm a beginner looking for a better violin than what I have now. I'm prepared to go $1000-1500 in the hopes that this price range will get me something that I'll be happy with for a while.

The McHugh violin shop has a whole web page devoted to Chinese instruments. They say that the quality has gone up drastically in recent years, especially when compared with similar-priced German instruments (whose prices have gone way up, so they claim). They offer a $1500 outfit on their page that I've been looking at: "These are absolutely the best sounding violins (new or used) in our shop when compared with others up to and exceeding $2000".

Anybody have any advice or experience with these?

:I've personally played and listened to a lot

of the newer Chinese instruments. THey are

really great sounding for the price. They look nice

too! Also see if you can try out a Dunov. Eastern

European, ex quality, and same price range as the

chinese ones.!

I know a few people who have purchased chinese

instruments and are very happy with them.

m

I have a Scott Cao violin that I paid less than your price range for that I am very happy with. It was made in China, and set up in Scott's California shop. I had also tried several eastern European violins that were finished by a local violin shop that I did not think were nearly as good sounding, and cost a little more. The disadvantage was that I could not try it out before I bought it (although I could have returned it) since I bought it mail-order. I would say to try as many in your price range as you can, because there is a wide variation in tone and playability. Others on this board are strong advocates of older German factory fiddles that have aged well. Hope you find your dream fiddle!

: I'm a beginner looking for a better violin than what I have now. I'm prepared to go $1000-1500 in the hopes that this price range will get me something that I'll be happy with for a while.

: The McHugh violin shop has a whole web page devoted to Chinese instruments. They say that the quality has gone up drastically in recent years, especially when compared with similar-priced German instruments (whose prices have gone way up, so they claim). They offer a $1500 outfit on their page that I've been looking at: "These are absolutely the best sounding violins (new or used) in our shop when compared with others up to and exceeding $2000".

: Anybody have any advice or experience with these?

I live in China and have been working with many different Chinese violins over the past 2 years. I can't believe some of the quality instruments I see being produced these days--competition is tough now and the result is much better instruments.

One must still be careful when they buy however as there are so many different qualities around--I did check the website you mentioned and they sound like they are onto the better instruments now coming out of China---My advice is to check for the usual things one would do when purchasing a violin--proper set up, correct measurments, reasonably nice varnish, reasonably decent wood and of course sound quality that meets the price you are paying---one additional thing to check for or to at least ask about is the wood being seasoned long enough--I mention this as from my experience here there are a few makers also doing beautiful work but not using wood that is seasoned long enough---this is almost impossible to detect once the violin has been varnished but any reputable shop will give you a guarantee on the instrument-that is any problems accuring from inferior materials and or workmanship --as for the bridge, strings,and pegs which have natural wear and tear you cannot expect any guarantee.

As a final note I would like to add that Chinese instruments in the past were of poor quality but have improved greatly over the past few years due to competition and experience--many makers have also studied abroad and have returned to introduce their skills to other makers--by careful selection from a good violin shop you are sure to get your money`s worth.

Richard

: I'm a beginner looking for a better violin than what I have now. I'm prepared to go $1000-1500 in the hopes that this price range will get me something that I'll be happy with for a while.

: The McHugh violin shop has a whole web page devoted to Chinese instruments. They say that the quality has gone up drastically in recent years, especially when compared with similar-priced German instruments (whose prices have gone way up, so they claim). They offer a $1500 outfit on their page that I've been looking at: "These are absolutely the best sounding violins (new or used) in our shop when compared with others up to and exceeding $2000".

: Anybody have any advice or experience with these?

As with any violin purchase, try out several and compare. Do they sound and feel good to you? Take your teacher along and see what he/she thinks too. I wouldn't worry too much about which country the instruments come from; earlier posts have established that Chinese instruments are no longer to be avoided.

I have a Chinese instrument, about 4 years old, which has been "antiqued". This is cheating in my opinion, but the instrument sounds great and looks nice, so I bought it. I paid $2500 Canadian for it; if you're in America that would probably be $1000 US these days...

Hope this helps!

Laurel

: As with any violin purchase, try out several and compare. Do they sound and feel good to you? Take your teacher along and see what he/she thinks too. I wouldn't worry too much about which country the instruments come from; earlier posts have established that Chinese instruments are no longer to be avoided.

: I have a Chinese instrument, about 4 years old, which has been "antiqued". This is cheating in my opinion, but the instrument sounds great and looks nice, so I bought it. I paid $2500 Canadian for it; if you're in America that would probably be $1000 US these days...

: Hope this helps!

: Laurel

• 3 weeks later...