Maestronet Forums

Switching from the guitar pick to a bow -

Andy Pollow

I dont like picking. The short version of the reason for that - anchoring the right hand fingers on the body of the guitar or the right palm on the strings bear the bridge for stability with a pick makes wrist or elbow picking motions very uncomfortable to me and I dont like to move the pick with my thumb joint. The pick is very difficult to play fast single notes with if you play with your palm and fingers off of the guitar. 95% of fast pickers anchor the palm or fingers on the guitar. Ive used the bow and the pick and I prefer the bow so Im going to buy one of Mark Wood's electric 6 string violins with frets. I seem to bow fast and slow on each string naturally with my elbow and I change strings naturally with my shoulder. Of course I understand the importance of strict alternate strokes and I know slurring with the bow pretty well. And I know to avoid the shrugging motion with the shoulder. I know that bowing can get complicated but am I missing anything thats basic and REAL important for bowing technique in that? The style that I like the most is a type of heavy metal music called neo-classical or bach rock. So its pretty seriouse music but not as seriouse as Beethoven or Mozart symphonies. I only want the basic techniques - I dont want to get REAL technical about it unless I have to.

First - I meant "NEAR the bridge" down there and not "BEAR the bridge"! Second - Mark Wood has an interesting thing that he calls a "chest support" that holds the violin up without a chin rest or a shoulder rest. What do you people think of that? Any opinions on that? It looks really great to me but I havent tried it.

: I dont like picking. The short version of the reason for that - anchoring the right hand fingers on the body of the guitar or the right palm on the strings bear the bridge for stability with a pick makes wrist or elbow picking motions very uncomfortable to me and I dont like to move the pick with my thumb joint. The pick is very difficult to play fast single notes with if you play with your palm and fingers off of the guitar. 95% of fast pickers anchor the palm or fingers on the guitar. Ive used the bow and the pick and I prefer the bow so Im going to buy one of Mark Wood's electric 6 string violins with frets. I seem to bow fast and slow on each string naturally with my elbow and I change strings naturally with my shoulder. Of course I understand the importance of strict alternate strokes and I know slurring with the bow pretty well. And I know to avoid the shrugging motion with the shoulder. I know that bowing can get complicated but am I missing anything thats basic and REAL important for bowing technique in that? The style that I like the most is a type of heavy metal music called neo-classical or bach rock. So its pretty seriouse music but not as seriouse as Beethoven or Mozart symphonies. I only want the basic techniques - I dont want to get REAL technical about it unless I have to.