Maestronet Forums

Happy Halloween!"

Katie

: Happy Halloween to all you ppl in the us! By the way, does anyone know of any really easy, quick to learn Halloween music? Preferabley something you can download off the internet?

:

:

Hmmm, never heard of Halloween music. A schoolteacher friend of mine does this with his Grade 3-6 recorder students: he puts easy tunes (like Twinkle Little Star, I'm a Little Teapot etc.) into a minor key, and writes Halloween-type lyrics for them ("I'm a thirsty vampire, seeking blood; here is my cape and here are my fangs" (something like that)). You could do this yourself maybe - ?

Thanks

Laurel

I have no good idea, but whenever someone says scary music Bach's Tocatta and Fugue always comes to mind, but I think it's mostly just because it was associated with, like, amusement park haunted house music. And of course, it really needs the organ sound for it to sound like horror. Hmm...maybe if you play it on the violin and give it an exaggerated vibrato it'll sound scary? Or I wonder if it'll be just horrible instead of horror :)...

While on this topic, I suddenly recall 2 more pieces of music (not violin music though):

1) the death theme from Mozart's Requiem / Finale of Beriot's Symphony Fantastique

2) Muzzorgsky's "Night at Bald Mountain" (excuse my spelling)

3) various themes/movements (don't remember their names off top my head) from Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"

But I think all this illustrates a good point...for music to induce the feeling of horror, I think it works best only in a "big sound" setting like organ or full orchestra. Any comment?