Maestronet Forums

question for Mr. Hersh

Mairead

some ways down the page during a discussion about Jalovek, you mention the

authors Duane Rossengart and Carlo Chiesa as contemporary violin experts.

Where can I find their books ? I have done an author search on Amazon, and Borders and can find

no refferences or listings.

Thanks in advance.

steve g

Duane and Carlo did the research which uncovered Stradivari's last will and testament several years ago. The resulting publication was co authored by them and released last year as the 'Stradivari Legacy'. The book is full of fascinating factual details about the lives and dealings of many of the classic Cremonese makers and is one of the most exciting pieces of violin literature ever. Duane and Carlo also were involved in the research and writing for Peter Biddulph's monumental Guarneri volumes also published last year.

These books are not cheap but they are cheap at the price for any string instrument enthusiast.

S. Hersh

: some ways down the page during a discussion about Jalovek, you mention the

: authors Duane Rossengart and Carlo Chiesa as contemporary violin experts.

: Where can I find their books ? I have done an author search on Amazon, and Borders and can find

: no refferences or listings.

: Thanks in advance.

: steve g

: Duane and Carlo did the research which uncovered Stradivari's last will and testament several years ago. The resulting publication was co authored by them and released last year as the 'Stradivari Legacy'. The book is full of fascinating factual details about the lives and dealings of many of the classic Cremonese makers and is one of the most exciting pieces of violin literature ever. Duane and Carlo also were involved in the research and writing for Peter Biddulph's monumental Guarneri volumes also published last year.

: These books are not cheap but they are cheap at the price for any string instrument enthusiast.

: S. Hersh

Duane is also the author of a very interesting book on Cremonese double basses. For his day job, he plays double bass in the Philadelphia Orchestra.

: : some ways down the page during a discussion about Jalovek, you mention the

: : authors Duane Rossengart and Carlo Chiesa as contemporary violin experts.

: : Where can I find their books ? I have done an author search on Amazon, and Borders and can find

: : no refferences or listings.

: : Thanks in advance.

: : steve g

Stefan wrote:

These books are not cheap but they are cheap at the price for any string instrument enthusiast.

Since I was the one who started with the question on Jalovec, I'll chime in here first with a heartfelt 'Thanks!'

and then a repeat of SteveG's question: where can the books be found? Are they small-press titles, samizdats,

or what?

And here is a second, related question: is Jalovec merely not the best source for the major pantheon, or is he

not the best source, full stop? If the latter, who is the best comprehensive source? I.e., who offers the most

reliable lookup for the minor pantheon the demi-pantheon, and similar, such as folk like Johannes Dingsbums who made 10 very nice Stainer copies working out of his hayloft in

Hinterkratzen back in 1709 and then decided raising cows paid better?

Kenneth Warren and Son in Chicago, tel #(312)427-7475 should have these books available.

S. Hersh

: Since I was the one who started with the question on Jalovec, I'll chime in here first with a heartfelt 'Thanks!'

: and then a repeat of SteveG's question: where can the books be found? Are they small-press titles, samizdats,

: or what?

: And here is a second, related question: is Jalovec merely not the best source for the major pantheon, or is he

: not the best source, full stop? If the latter, who is the best comprehensive source? I.e., who offers the most

: reliable lookup for the minor pantheon the demi-pantheon, and similar, such as folk like Johannes Dingsbums who made 10 very nice Stainer copies working out of his hayloft in

: Hinterkratzen back in 1709 and then decided raising cows paid better?

: Kenneth Warren and Son in Chicago, tel #(312)427-7475 should have these books available.

Thanks, Stefan. Can you tell us what researchers you'd consider reliable for information about the now-less-popular geniuses such as da Salo and Maggini, the Amatis, and Stainer, the folk who copied them, such as the Kloz family and Schweitzer, and finally the folk who copied them? Is Jalovec at all helpful at any level of the food chain, or ought he go into the midden altogether? Thanks!

I suppose that one must regard material such as Jalovec as interesting relics of the past. Most historians will tell us to look at all biographies with a jaundiced eye. On Stainer there is a book by Karl Roy but Stainer is not an area where I feel terribly confident so I can't comment intelligently as to the accuracy of the information or examples. The makers of the Hungarian School including Schweitzer are covered in depth in a terrific volume by Peter Benedeck. I have yet to see comprehensive historical research on Gasparo Bertolotti (da Salo) or Magginni...has anyone else seen good research on the early Brecian makers?

S. Hersh

: : Kenneth Warren and Son in Chicago, tel #(312)427-7475 should have these books available.

: Thanks, Stefan. Can you tell us what researchers you'd consider reliable for information about the now-less-popular geniuses such as da Salo and Maggini, the Amatis, and Stainer, the folk who copied them, such as the Kloz family and Schweitzer, and finally the folk who copied them? Is Jalovec at all helpful at any level of the food chain, or ought he go into the midden altogether? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...