Carbon bows vs. Wood bows

Mary

What is the difference between Carbon bows and wood bows?

Why should I use carbon bows when everyone has been traditionally using woodemn bows?

How are they different?

For carbon bows, usualyl how much do they cost? (reasonalbe price and reasonable sounds)

Carbon bows usually start at around $500. You should make your decision between carbon and wood by trial. Pick the one that brings out the best sound for you. I personally like wood. Golf records set with wood shafts 50 years ago still stand today even though modern players use carbon fiber and I've yet to see technology top Stradivari.

Hi evan,

Funny you should ask - I recently acquired a new carbon-fiber and a new wooden bow which would retail for about the same price (about $300) and have been making mental comparisons of them.

I believe the reasons you would use a carbon bow include consistency - both from one bow to another (if you are ordering a bow from afar) and consistency of the bow over time. Such a bow is less likely to be damaged or warped by changes in humidity, temperature, etc., or to break. In addition, it may be possible for 'them' to manufacture a strong and light carbon bow for a more affordable price than a comparably strong & light wooden bow. (In fact, my carbon bow seems to be a few grams lighter than my pernambuco bow.)

Those things said, I love my wooden bow! I seems to draw an even more beautiful sound out of my instrument than the carbon bow does (although the carbon one is also light, balanced and maneuverable), and it also sounds good. So, I think it really depends, and you should try out the bows your considering if you can. Carbon and wooden bows both can vary in quality and characteristics - I just especially like my wooden bow.

: Carbon bows usually start at around $500. You should make your decision between carbon and wood by trial. Pick the one that brings out the best sound for you. I personally like wood. Golf records set with wood shafts 50 years ago still stand today even though modern players use carbon fiber and I've yet to see technology top Stradivari.