Maestronet Forums

Cant teach an Old Dog new tricks

Hello to all.

I was wondering if anyone could please help me here.

I used to play the Violin many years ago, and have

forgotten everything about it. I'd like to start

up again, but every teacher out there tell me

they will only accept young students, and that I am

wasting my time. I'm late 20's. :)

Can anyone here please give me any suggestings?

Where do I go from here?

Books? Are there any good Beginning books on Violin

out there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Late 20's is not even close to being old! I started playing again when I was 46 after almost 3 decades. Most of my teacher's students are young and in high school. But she also has a number of adult students and I am not even the oldest one. And she was a Juliard grad and a classmate of Itzhak Perlman. She is wonderful in terms of letting me go at my own pace and I am sure she does not teach me the same way she teaches her "kids".

Anyway, the teachers who refuse to take you because "you are too old" are just too snotty and not worth having. Keep looking and I am sure you will find a teacher as good as mine.

I also was told that ther were only 2 teachers in my area that would except adult students. I took from one of those teachers for about 3 yrs, she was wounderful! But was always a bit on edge thinking that my selection was so limited. When I went looking for anouther teacher I had no trouble finding one. Try local orchestras, universitys,violin shops and I'm sure there is web site even to get started. Don't get discouraged, help is there.

Hello to all.

: I was wondering if anyone could please help me here.

: I used to play the Violin many years ago, and have

: forgotten everything about it. I'd like to start

: up again, but every teacher out there tell me

: they will only accept young students, and that I am

: wasting my time. I'm late 20's. :)

: Can anyone here please give me any suggestings?

: Where do I go from here?

: Books? Are there any good Beginning books on Violin

: out there?

: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, go to www.onelist.com and join BAVS (Beginning Adult Violin Studies). It is a mailing list of several hundred adults just like you only mostly older.

Second, my opinion of teachers who don't take adults is that they either aren't knowledgable enough or secure enough to teach anyone who might question authority. At least that's one way of looking at it. GRIN -- the symbol for that doesn't seem to come through.

Third, look around, when I went back to the violin after a 25-year hiatus; I had no trouble finding a teacher. Granted, she hadn't been born by the time I quit taking lessons the last time; but I try not to hold that against her GRIN.

Elaine

Norman, OK

Hello Ann and other OD's

A few weeks ago I wondered whether to post a semi-reunional type of post. Now that you've said the magic words, I will!! :-)

How are all the other members of the Old Dogs' Orchestra going? I guess we're all a year or so more competent with our playing eh? Isn't it nice, in this way only perhaps, to have life slide past you until you can actually notice your accomplishments in a more definitive way. I know that's the way in my case. Over this time I have sat another (Grade 2 AMEB) exam, achieving Honours, and have another one under my belt, proving that it DOES get easier to bare yourself in a pressure situation, I have joined a group of adult students and we have worked our way into a good little unit. Well, we sound a hell of a lot better than we did at first. It is all starting to click. And the best part is, even though I've had my "lean" periods where I've wondered whether I could keep at it through the frustrating times, I've always picked up and gotten back into it harder than ever. I guess my chances of giving it away now are getting slimmer.

OK, Melinda, Phoebe, Mimi, DJ, Elaine the first and second, and other Old Dogs. Come out, come out, tell us all how YOUR year has been.

Regards to all

Wendy

: First of all, go to www.onelist.com and join BAVS (Beginning Adult Violin Studies). It is a mailing list of several hundred adults just like you only mostly older.

: Second, my opinion of teachers who don't take adults is that they either aren't knowledgable enough or secure enough to teach anyone who might question authority. At least that's one way of looking at it. GRIN -- the symbol for that doesn't seem to come through.

: Third, look around, when I went back to the violin after a 25-year hiatus; I had no trouble finding a teacher. Granted, she hadn't been born by the time I quit taking lessons the last time; but I try not to hold that against her GRIN.

: Elaine

: Norman, OK

I have seen similar messages posted on this board before and I don't understand why teachers are so reluctant to take on adult students. I had no trouble finding a teacher and I am 36 and not even his oldest student. The student prior to me is only 5 years old. The woman after me is late 40's. All of the adds I see in the local papers around here always say all ages welcome. Do you have a local paper that caters to musicians? Usually those kinds of papers are free to advertise in so you could put in an add looking for a teacher. Good luck.

: Hello to all.

: I was wondering if anyone could please help me here.

: I used to play the Violin many years ago, and have

: forgotten everything about it. I'd like to start

: up again, but every teacher out there tell me

: they will only accept young students, and that I am

: wasting my time. I'm late 20's. :)

: Can anyone here please give me any suggestings?

: Where do I go from here?

: Books? Are there any good Beginning books on Violin

: out there?

: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a "kid student" myself, but I've got some thoughts here on adult beginners and re-starters.

Well, the reason why some teachers don't take adult students is because they ignorantly don't think adult students can progress much (people like Tanya Schumacher). They want students who (they think) will have a chance to win competitions and scholarships and auditions etc., and they don't think adults will. Frankly, I find that ridiculous. When I was at music camp there were two adult students. They had started at ages 30 and 36 (respectively). That evening, I heard one of them play the first movement of Bach's Sonata no. 1. The other one played the Romance from Wieniawski's D minor concerto. Both had very pleasant tone and good sprezzatura vibrato. I was very impressed. Adult students may need to work a little harder because their muscles and ligaments aren't as "elastic" as when they were younger, but it is very possible for them to play well. It wouldn't surprise me if one or both of these adults I had heard are headed on their way to professional orchestras.

Good luck.

-Michael L.

I'm probably WAY too young (29) to be part of the Old Dogs' Orchestra, but as I'm not a "kid-starter" - my year was great! :-)

Here's some reasoning given to me by one of my teachers about why she hesitated to accept adults: Adults don't have parents around to make them practise and come to lessons on time! Seriously, in her experience, adults just 1)have less time to practise, 2) are more likely to cancel lessons or arrive late, and 3) many aren't as good at self-discipline as they think they are (i.e., they could make time to practise, but don't).

I don't happen to agree with the idea of not accepting adult students, but obviously that is her solution, and I must say she has a point. I don't know how many times I've had to tell my teacher "sorry, I didn't work on X or Y or Z at all this week..." (blush)

Anyway, just one possible reason, rather than just general snootiness (although there's a lot of that around too!)

Thanks

Laurel