Arm vibrato vs. Wrist Vibrato for Violin

I just started working on vibrato in my last violin lesson (late, I know). My teacher says that arm vibrato comes more naturally to me and that's what I'll mostly use. She mainly uses wrist vibrato, as does the entire violin section in my orchestra except me and one other person. Is there anyone else out there who uses arm vibrato on violin? Is one kind better than the other kind?

Thanks!

Micaela

I use wrist vibrato but I was taught that it depends on your physical composition. Arm vibrato came more quickly to me but my teacher insisted I learn wrist vibrato because of the size of my arm. I'm 6'2" with long arms and it is simply more mass I would have to move to accomplish a good arm vibrato. However, smaller players tend to do just fine with arm vibrato. Watch Isaac Stern and Midori...they each have a beautiful arm vibrato.

: I just started working on vibrato in my last violin lesson (late, I know). My teacher says that arm vibrato comes more naturally to me and that's what I'll mostly use. She mainly uses wrist vibrato, as does the entire violin section in my orchestra except me and one other person. Is there anyone else out there who uses arm vibrato on violin? Is one kind better than the other kind?

: Thanks!

: Micaela

: I just started working on vibrato in my last violin lesson (late, I know). My teacher says that arm vibrato comes more naturally to me and that's what I'll mostly use. She mainly uses wrist vibrato, as does the entire violin section in my orchestra except me and one other person. Is there anyone else out there who uses arm vibrato on violin? Is one kind better than the other kind?

: Thanks!

: Micaela

It's the opposite with me. My teacher uses arm and I have easier time with wrist, but I've been working on arm a lot lately. I think that arm vibrato makes a slower vibrato that has a wider range of pitch. Wrist vibrato on the other hand is faster and is used more on shorter notes. I am definitely not an expert and I just recently began so I may well be wrong, but I think they both have their advantages, wrist vibrato is, as I said faster, and is used on shorter notes and I think when it's an upbeat(is that the right word?) piece. Arm vibrato is used more on a slow romantic sort of piece. I think in early classical music and baroque music it would be more wrist vibrato(or none at all) and in romantic it would be arm. I hope I helped.

Jon