Maestronet Forums

Carbon fiber bows

Beriot

Hello

I was thinking about getting a carbon fiber bow. I have heard a lot of good things about them, especially about the Spiccato and the coda bows, but i'm on a pretty low budget (starving artist). Does anyone know of a dealer that sells good carbon fiber bows for $0-$800 in the New York or ships to the New York area? If you do, contact me or post a reply to this. Thanks in advance!

Full retail on the top of the line Coda is $775. The largest mail order source to carry it that I know of is www.SWstrings.com. Generally, McHugh in Wichita Ks http://home.att.net/~mcfiddles/index.html or George at www.lvstrings.com/ will beat just about anybody's price on Coda's.

Elaine

Norman, OK

: Hello

: I was thinking about getting a carbon fiber bow. I have heard a lot of good things about them, especially about the Spiccato and the coda bows, but i'm on a pretty low budget (starving artist). Does anyone know of a dealer that sells good carbon fiber bows for $0-$800 in the New York or ships to the New York area? If you do, contact me or post a reply to this. Thanks in advance!

I was thinking about getting a carbon fiber bow. I have heard a lot of good things about them, especially about the Spiccato and the coda bows....

My experience mightn't be relevant to you, particularly if you've already taken your decision as to brand, but I bought a Musicary and couldn't be happier with it. Shar sell them for ca. US$350.-

I bought a Glasser Carbon Graphite bow (NOT the composite) and I'm very VERY impressed by it. I've played the expensive Coda bow (which is wonderful, but out of my price range), and I've played the Musicary, and in my opinion, the Glasser plays better than the Musicary, but not quite as well as the expensive Coda. What totally sold me on the Glasser was it's price -- $189 from Shar!

I'm 28 and have only been playing for around two years, so by no means is my opinion that of an expert, and I'm sure I'm not at the stage where I can feel very subtle variations in bows, but the Glasser FAR outperforms the $400 brazilwood bow that I had been using.

Hope this helps......

If you really are, as you say, as starving artist, then you will understand what each kind of bow is (or is not) doing for you by trying it. I suggest you try each kind of composite bow (regardless of what you can afford) and select the one you like best (that you can afford) but do try to buy the one you try because there can be differences (subtle and not so subtle) between different examples of the same brand.

I own Spiccato, Coda (classic), CF Duro, Glasser Composite, and E. Jumeau (a pernambuco/carbon hybrid from the Finkel shop) bows, as well as selection of Pernambucos (Voirin on down) and my favorite for most purposes is the Spicatto, which unfortunately does not fit your budget.

The Coda was the first of these that I acquired, and upon so doing I got rid of some of my better pernambuco sticks (including a Lothar Seifert, silver tip, that Shar sells for over $1K)- but would not do much for me "off the string" (but I should add that it worked well off the string for some people and on the string for me).

However, if you are a fairly new player, you would be surprised what a simple Glasser Composite (for less than $100) can do for you. I have a student who could not get a decent spiccato stroke on the Chardas (by Monte) using her W. Seifert bow and when I handed her the Glasser the bounce was there in exactly the way she had been bowing and so the spiccato stroke played very well.

But a more experienced player might be able to get more out of the more expensive Musicary or Coda sticks.

The Spiccato (at least mine-which has a simulated whalebone grip) seems to give everyone great control and sound at any level of accomplishment. The Finkel sticks vary a good bit (including, as they, do a natural material). My Jumeau articulates wonderfully (it's a great Bach bow), but it's not good off the string (for me) and I can't handle it for Mozart (yet). (My experience with the Finkel shop cello bows, however, is that the bow Finkel (himself) makes handles very well and not only articulates wonderfully in sound, but also in "feel.") I suspect that his violin and viola bows may be equal, but I don't know for sure - but his bows are not cheap.

You just have to try first.

Andy

I have no idea what the best price is. When I bought mine at Ifshin early this year, it cost $1625 + sales tax. I tried three, but only one worked magic for me. I was actually there trying cello bows, but I decided to see what the Spiccato violin bows were like. Knew I shouldn't buy it, so I went home but returned the next day and bought it anyway.

I don't think they need to discount this item, but please let us know if you find someone who does.

I think Peter Prier's shop in Utah is now licensed to produce them, and they may have a discount for early production, but be sure you are getting a top-quality bow you really want (and can't live without).

Andy