Maestronet Forums

PROBLEMS WITH A VIOLIN

ANONYMUS

Hi.

It could be a number of things. The weather could cause a change in the wood (the maple of the pegbox and the ebony of the pegs expand and contract differently). The pegbox may need work, the direction of the pegs may be off, or it could be something a bit worse like needing the pegbox bushed and re-drilled. There may be a slim chance that the bridge could be the problem (not likely), if it's too high, there is more pressure pulling back on the strings. Or you could just need some peg dope.

Ben

Some of the non-Sacconi tail "guts" can continue to stretch for a very long time, and the instrument will just not stay in tune. But this results in the intonation slipping - I wouldn't call it bouncing.

Al Stancel told me of one tailgut that had stretched 20mm (nealy an inch) while installed on a cello, which is actually 40mm of stretch (considering the two lengths of "gut."

I was having this problem on both violin and cello, and by obtaining and using genuine Sacconi guts, the problem stopped. All dealers carry this brand, but I think it costs about 1/3 more than the no-names (well worth it).

Andy