Maestronet Forums

Help With 4 Octave Scale...

Ryno

Presumably you can start with any key, low at first, For example,(G major) G, A , B, C. D, E, F#....etc.(use different strings, and high position notes on which you have to move on E string and near the end of finger board)

Like a piano, you play the keys from one end to another.

Perhaps, from up to down when you have finished from down to up. Try a scale book piece with just one sharp.(G major)

Good luck

I assume your teacher just wants you to get the notes/fingersings first, with single bows.

My kids use Galamian patterns ( Contemporary Violin Technique ) for their 4 octave scales.

Pattern one (common time), 8 eighth notes to a bow. (There are several other patterns. My daughter's teacher has her start with four to a bow--then 6 per bow; then 7 per bow, 8 per-, 9 per-, 12 per; and finally half the scale per bow).

J.

Okay, thanks for all your feedback.

I am not having problems with intonation at this point doing 1/2/4/8 bowings, so thats good.

It does seem kind of strange that he would start giving me 4 octave scales, and at the same time have me learning Accolay, which hasn't been that much of a challenge yet.

Galamian strives to build versatility, which includes going against expectation (i.e., changing on the tonic).

And after hearing my kid's teacher perform this week in his capacity as concertmaster for Seattle Opera's "Ring" cycle, I can see why he emphasizes these different scale patterns.

BTW, the four-octave scales are now standard for conservatory-bound violinists.

J.

Quote:

Only G, Ab, and A seems practical in 4 octaves... I don't know any pieces that go higher than the A, and in most cases it calls for artificial harmonics.

Paganini Caprice No.7 has the high C natural (the highest note for most pianos).

Leonid Kogan apparently criticized Flesch for not including 4 octave scales. I met a Russian violinist who knew someone studied with Kogan and she told me that Kogan expected his students to know 4 octave scales in ALL KEYS. Of course, it is more practical to do 4 octave scales only up to C sharp since most repertoire does not include notes above C. I believe Kogan pushed his students so they can develop extra reserve in their technique. After all, if one can play F sharp major 4 octave scale, doing a C major 4 octave scale will not be as difficult.

I am surprised that the teacher is making the original poster to play 4 octave scales as supplements to the Accolay. However, if one can even sort of play 4 octave scale at reasonable speed, the Accolay will be comparatively easy to play. So, GO FOR IT!

T.

How do you finger way up on the E string? Are you practically sliding your 3rd or 4th finger along at the top? Do you release your thumb from the side of the violin, and switch to the fingerboard?

And honestly, a 4 octave high F# is going to be a squeak, not an identifiable note.

When I go up, I go to 3rd position on the A string, and on the E string I play 123123123 etc. When I play the scale down, I play 321321 on E string as well. I think it is much more safe then when you play 121212 up and 323232 down, because your hand stays much more in a 'frame'.

Usually, I practice only 3 octaves scales, the 4oct. damage your ears;)