Maestronet Forums

Where Can I Buy Geared Pegs?

Ryno

Apartmentluthier, I think it's poetic that you link to those machine heads and your avatar shows a breaking pegbox. :-)

I vote for Pegheds. I put them on my first violin and like they very much. I have two more sets which will go on my next two violins. I will put them on my daughter's cello when I make that. They work well and are invisible. By invisible I mean that nobody has ever noticed that I didn't have normal ebony pegs on my instrument until I told them about the Pegheds. In fact, I've had people try tuning my instrument with the Pegheds, not knowing what they were and thinking they were ebony pegs, and get all flabbergasted at the feel.

Seth, My vote is also for the pegheads. I have a set ready to be installed on one of my fiddles, just can't decide which one to put them on! I posted this link because I assumed the poster was specifically looking for the old gear-on-plate type.

I thought my avatar showed a pegbox being repaired, not broken. Are you a glass half empty or half full kinda guy!

As is wrote earlier, I put a set of Pegheds on a Roth and loved them. I couldn't stop other violinists from trying to adjust them.

They are easy to install (need a peg reamer) and never fade or bind like ordinary pegs. I have not used Perfection Pegs, but will some day. But if you need to upgrade now, choose Pegheds. They look like ebony pegs and fool everyone until they try tuning them. I wonder why anyone puts up with the old friction pegs which are something out of the Middle Ages - literally!

Seth Leigh is correct. The G and D pegs on the left of the pegbox are right hand threaded while the A and E pegs on the right of the pegbox are left hand threaded. This means that the string will pull to rotate the PegHed into the wood, that is, tightening the PegHed. Of course, the strings are wrapped as with ordinary pegs such that they come over the top of the peg to the nut. The instructions from PegHeds tells you this.

The trick is to use a standard tapered reamer (I believe 30 degrees is the taper.) to open the peg holes such that you can start threading the PegHed into the hole. Be careful not to open the hole too much. (Ream the hole a bit at a time and try threading the Peghed. Repeat until the PegHed finally threads into the hole. Use a piece of thin leather or rubber mat to grasp the PegHed. I used a small pliers to grasp the leather/rubber mat. Don't scratch the varnished surface of the pegbox.) You should leave enough material in the peg hole for the Peghed to grab and use as a thread.

This is not rocket science. Don't rush. Be logical and go slow with the first one. The last one will take a minute because you figured the technique.