Maestronet Forums

Another "Roth" for Roth fans

Roger

Padah Hound - I don't have a copy of the Roth catalog, but have seen this type of label on several other Roths.

The Gothic labels were used in both Bubenreuth and Markneukirchen. There is one illustrated in the Jalovec encyclopedia.

I have been trying to determine what this type of label indicates, but have not come to a conclusion so far.

All Best, Larry.

As far as I can tell, they were only used in the early 20's.

Jesse, I wonder if your 1924 Roth catalogue lists instruments made in 1924 or if it was published in 1924 and therefore lists the Roth range made in 1923? I realize this is probably drawing a long bow, but thought it was worth asking and MIGHT explain the difference.

Neil

It would be truly excellent if the E.H. Roth firm, which is still going strong today, would enlighten us on some of these questions. I am sure they must be aware of the ongoing interest on Maestronet.

Gentlemen - Would you consider giving us some input?

Mit Hoechste verehrung und complimente -

All Best, Larry.

mmmm - The seller's description says that according to the label it is Strad model.

Illuminatus - I certainly would not buy it without inspecting and playing it either. But is that really what you meant, or are there doubts in your mind? I like the overall looks of it, and some arbitrager could easily buy it at or near the reserve and flip it.

All Best, Larry

I don't have any doubt. The seller informed me that the reserve price is almost $3,000. I don't think there has been a Roth violin on eBay which demanded that kind of price. I am quite fond of pre-WWII Roth violins. The ones that I have tried are very nice instruments and the prices were reasonable.

By the way, does any one know which Roth model this is?

I don't know about the label, but I think that brandstamp is kind of hard to fake (?)

Jesse, do you know how long that first label--the one used on the less expensive models--was used? I have a Roth with that label, and it seems a lot newer than 1920s. Any idea?

Hi Rudall - Arbitrage is something often done with exchange traded commodities such as gold, copper, coffee etc. but mainly with currencies. It means buying the commodity at a certain price in one market, then immediately selling it at a higher price in another. It takes great speed, savvy and luck to make money at this game.

"Flipping" is a real estate term used frequently in active markets such as L.A. or N.Y. It means buying a house or apartment, doing some minimal renovation such as painting , new carpeting, landscaping etc.and immediately putting it back on the market at a higher price. This only works in a strong, actively rising market.

An entrepreneurial risk- taker could possibly arbitrage the ebay Roth by buying it on ebay for $3,000. and then flip it by sending it to Tarisio where it might bring $5,000. or more.

I have never tried something like that, as I don't have the

nerves for it. It has nothing at all to do with violins or music!

All Best, Larry.

Yes, I guess it would only cost a couple of hundred bucks to ave that brandstamp reproduced, but then you've got to remove the top (or back) and apply the brand and make it look convincing. A lot of work. And you also have to make it appear that the top (or back) hasn't been removed.

I just think that's a long walk for a short beer.

The problem with those bow stamps that we see is that they don't look convincing--too deep, uneven, etc.

I got an email from the "seller" through eBay's mail forwarding system. The "seller" was offering me a second chance even though my bid was less than half of the final price and far below the reserve price. What's odd about this is that the User ID of the person who offered me the second chance doesn't match. Speedy-88 appears to be a fairly reputable eBay buyer/seller based in Germany, but the forwarded email came though eBay Malaysia!