Maestronet Forums

what happened to Fiddle Forum

Yankee Fiddler

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Steve W, I'm with you. I'm sticking around here until the Fiddle Forum is brought back to life.

PS: If you play civil war era tunes you might play the 'Old Greasy Coat' tune where the strings are de-tuned. Do you play that one? Also, if you are in San Francisco, I know there is an Irish Pub that has live music near 2nd and Geary St. and a good restaurant around the corner called the 'Q.'

Ken

Hi Ken; I'm not doing as much reenacting these days but when I do get out I reenact in a company of Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, most of whose members were 2nd-generation German or British Isles emigrants (my great-great-grandfather actually was a member of that unit; his family came from Ireland in the 1830s) and this gives me an opportunity to use a bit of my Scottish & Irish repertoire; in addition to that we play mostly popular tunes of the day (but not Old Greasy Coat; that'd be a Secesh tune!). I know the pub you mention, but have never been there when there was live music going on. -Steve

Wow, that is some good information Steve. Have you ever posted clips of your playing? You can attach an mp3 to your posts here if you happen to have one. I'd love to hear a tune.

: )

Here is a note added later:

I see something I didn't know, but should have suspected: "secesh [Confederate]." Probably from secessionist. I made an error in asking about it, and I apologize for that, and I sincerely thank you for correcting me. I just heard the song being played under a tree last summer in a park, now I know the even more important information about this song.

Thank You,

Ken

Quote:

And here I was in the middle of setting up the logistics for Fiddle Hell in Massachusetts (Dec 9-11,2005) on Fiddle Forum. Hope it'll be back soon...

I am still going on the assumption that Fiddle Hell is going to happen. (Haven't bought my plane ticket yet, but soon, so it better be happening!!) So, Dave...I need your paypal thing again. I kept it as a PM at FF. PM me here, OK? and I'll send you that $50 for reserving the meeting room.

Quote:

I think it was Simon's fault with his ABC bow comparison! sheesh!

No what Mark told me is the company that has hosted the site decided to charge 10x the original fee! Well I guess we'd really maxed it out lately with all the recordings...

Hah! You're just miffed because you picked the Incredibow.

Seriously though, I doubt the amount of recordings has anything to do with it, since they aren't actually hosted on the forum servers. The explanation currently posted - that it's CPU/memory usage that's been exceeded, not bandwidth or disk space - seems odd to me. My first thought was that the host just wants an excuse to squeeze more money out of the forum.

It's sort of back....it says something about posting disabled while monitoring. Anyway, I logged in hoping to get the Fiddle Hell info, but nothing shows up but the same index page about the posting being disabled. But now I can't log out. Anyway, it was comforting to see the page load up.