Maestronet Forums

best time to sell on ebay?

jbgilm

Pahdah-Hound recently said that demand for violins is low on ebay right now, and that fits my recent experience as a buyer. I have another violin I want to sell. When do you think demand will pick up? Is there a spurt of interest before school starts in the fall?

Don`t know about in the States but during sunny wearther in the u.K bidding is rather slow. End of the year is when you`ll get the best prices .Time the auction closes is another consideration.If your trying to attract far eastern buyers then morning finishes are better over here. Then again i`ve sold to a few Japanese dealers recently in the evening GMT.

Its rather hard to predict. The U.S dollar is low at the moment so i,d expect more european or far eastern bidders.

Here is my experience. January through March is best. Late August through Thanksgiving is also strong. I will not sell much other than a big name package (Good Roth or Juzek with a leather vintage case and named bow) during Christmas season. July and early August is slow. The beginning of March was terrible this past year, but then picked up into the spring. The day after Christmas and all of January is the strongest. Just my own opinion.

Jesse

I try to make my auctions appeal to buyers like me. I therefore always end them between 7:30 and 10 PM Eastern time. That gives most Americans time to get home and check out the eBay listing. I have found that 1/2 of the total page hits occur on the first and last days of the auction. So the start time is as important as the end time. I like to start my best auctions on Friday evening and run them for 10 days. That way I get two weekends.

Jesse

Actually, most of my buyers come from west of the Mississippi with California best represented. Rather few on the East Coast. About 15% of the violins I sell go to overseas buyers, mostly from the far East. I sell quite few to Japan and Hong Kong. Australia represents about 1/4 of those sales. I have sold a few violins (restoration projects) to Italy, one or two to Spain, nothing at all to South America, a couple to great Britain, nothing to France or the other European countries. Asian buyers buy very old violins and American made violins. The Asian buyers are almost all dealers including one who has a high profile shop in the US. I have sold a couple to a famous dealer in Tel Aviv.

I am surprised that more violins are not sold overseas considering the weakness of the US dollar. Shipping cost is not prohibitive-I charge $69 insured, for Express delivery to anywhere in the world.

Jesse

How to start selling violins on ebay? I don't qualify as an expert on this, since I have sold only one fiddle on ebay so far, but I made a small profit, so that should count for something.

First step is to take a bunch of good digital photos. Detailed pics of the top, back, f-holes, scroll, button are important.

Second, make sure you have a fast internet connection, because otherwise it will take forever to upload those pics.

Third, spend some time learning html. Ebay provides some useful guides. Learn how to do centering, italics and bold perhaps, and paragraphs.

Fourth, spend some time studying lisitngs to see whatyou like. pahdah_hound sets the standard for good listings.

Signup with ebay for a sellers account, and then you are ready to go!! Good luck!

Post specific questions here and you will get lots of advice, much of it useful.

I use the USPS exclusively to ship overseas. The service is excellent- 3 to 5 days to anyplace. The insurance is a bit expensive compared to other carriers but still the total cost is reasonable. The biggest downside is a trip to the Post Office and filling out of forms by hand. I am lazy.

Jesse

• 1 month later...

I recently listed an old violin on Ebay. It was the first time I tried selling one there due to fear of loosing money. I really don't have many local options of selling retail so I thought I'd try it out. I probably should have listed it to close on a weekend but thought maybe a Monday night wouldn't be bad. So far I have 37 watchers and only 300 hits. I am getting worried that it will got to cheap. I listed it low hoping to get more interested buyers but only have 1 bid this far.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Singingmaple
I am getting worried that it will got to cheap. I listed it low hoping to get more interested buyers but only have 1 bid this far.

Can you not cancel the listing? Many people do that. It would be better, wouldn't it, to cancel now rather than have to sell for a fraction of what the fiddle is worth?

There are now 2 minimum bids on it and 42 watchers. I thought about canceling the auction on the last day if the bid isn't better and relist it with a reserve. I should have just put the reserve in the first place.

My concern with that, is that with all the watchers I will miss any last second snipers. I will just ride it out and hope I get a fair price for it.

quote:

Originally posted by:
jbgilm

Third, spend some time learning html. Ebay provides some useful guides. Learn how to do centering, italics and bold perhaps, and paragraphs.

I am a programmer and find it useful to know HTML, but you really don't need this if you download eBay's Turbo Lister (a free item). This works beautifully to put together professional listings. This software is located under Download Tools. I cannot say enough nice things about this package.