Sign in to follow this  
crystal

Please tell me about Seifert bows

Can anyone tell me about Seifert bows? It looks like there is a W. Seifert, a L. Seifert, and a P. Seifert. Are these guys all from the same family?

When and where were these guys from? I understand that their bows are quite good and expensive. Does anyone play a Seifert?

I have a W. Seifert viola bow. (W. stands for "workshop.") It is an OK bow, for the money. Some viola players have thought it OK. It does not handle as well as a CF Durro viola bow (at about the same price). It has some "reluctant notes" --i.e., my viola has some notes that don't sound easily with either the Seifert or the Durro - but they are fine with a Coda and rather great with an Arcus.

I previously owned a L. (Lothar) Seifert violin bow. Someone thought it was the best of my bows (at the time), but I sold it after I boght my Coda Classic violin bow. At this time, that same Lothar Seifert sells at SHAR for $1,200. I did not think it was as good for me as a Coda at a lower price.

I have a student who owns a W. Seifert violin bow and it will not do spiccatos for her, which she can easily do (by the same technique) with her other bow, or with a Glasser Composite.

That's my experience with Seifert bows.

Andy

I play a P.Seifert and I am eager to know about this maker since he doesn't seem to be as famous as W. and L. The bow is quite cheap ($320) and has a slightly too flexible stick, but the sound it makes is full and sweet. The spiccatos are very comfortable too. The only headache it gives me is that it responds quite strongly to the wolf tones on my violin, otherwise it's a great playing bow (I prefer it to Coda Classic).

My late teacher played a Lothar Seifert bow. I know that she payed about $1200.00 for it about 8-10 years ago. The good ones have his name spelled out. I think the rest are shop bows.

After calling some violin shops today and asking about Seifert bows, it is my understanding that "W" in W. Seifert bows is not for "workshop", but is for another member of the Seifert family.

Can someone verify this?

Christal,

I am sure that the initials do stand for a member of the Seifert family, but I doubt very much that these bows are completely hand made by one person. Not at the price that they are selling for. They are probably very good shop bows though. The lesser quality shop bows use names of less prominant bow makers!

george

quote:

Originally posted by crystal:

After calling some violin shops today and asking about Seifert bows, it is my understanding that "W" in W. Seifert bows is not for "workshop", but is for another member of the Seifert family.

Can someone verify this?

[This message has been edited by george behary (edited 07-14-2000).]

I think Lothar's bows are much better quality than W and P's. I've been at Lothar's shop several times on Mozart Strasse in Bubenreuth. I remembered he had an assistant at that time. I saw them shaped, flexed and looked from end to end of the stick with great care. I always drop by their shop when I go to the Gleissner Tonewood across the street.

I'm gonna bring this topic back from the depths of time!  ;)

Does anyone know what would be a good value for one of these W SEIFERT bows (assuming it's the real deal)?

W Seifert Bow 20190722_013035 2048.jpg

On 7/22/2019 at 3:30 AM, FoxMitchell said:

I'm gonna bring this topic back from the depths of time!  ;)

Does anyone know what would be a good value for one of these W SEIFERT bows (assuming it's the real deal)?

W Seifert Bow 20190722_013035 2048.jpg

Here's a reference for you, https://www.sharmusic.com/Bows/Violin/Intermediate-Violin-Bows/W-Seifert-Pernambuco-Violin-Bow---4-4-size---Octagonal-Stick.axd

:)

I should add to my 2000 post that the person who thought my L. Seifert bow was my best violin bow was the (now late) Henry Meissner a California violin maker and violin/viola player. It was at the time I had him give my insurance evaluations for all my instruments and bows. He played a marvelous sautille with my L. Seifert violin bow. This was before I had bought the W Seifert viola bow, which to me was a better bow. I had bought the *** L Seifert from SHAR at the time the catalog had it priced at around $60 but by the time it arrived the Euro had gone crazy and I think it cost me $180. It was evaluated for insurance by Meissner in 1980 for $550.