Gigging string quartet repertoire

techfiddle

You don't have Borodin's 2nd String Quartet! How can you resist that nocturne?

Dvorak's American Quartet is pretty fun too.

Schubert's Death and the Maiden Quartet (No 14) is fun, but not for receptions or weddings really because it's so depressing.

Wow -- do you really get $1000 (plus travel) for a 2 hour gig? And you perform over that wide an area? At that price how many gigs do you sell per year? I don't think in our area we would sell ANY at that price (going rate here is about half that for a 2 hour service with no travel). Repertoire looks similar to ours.

You missed Schubert and Prokofiev. But, you don't want a list of what is possible right? It would bring up alot of questions. I have a few, how well do you play ALL the Beethoven and ALL the Brahms quartets. Also I think you could categorize into two or three subtitles so it would not be so confusing. Mabey- Standard Classics, Weddings & Reception, Transcriptions and other Specialty. Best of luck.

Wow, I agree with DA. I live in DFW and there isn't any way I would get my quartet hired earning $250 a person unless we sold tickets. Mabey it is who you know. ;-)

Well, I know most people will probably ask you for the standard quartets, but to give yourself an edge and make it more interesting, why not play something less known as well? There were quartets or quartet pieces by Rebecca Clarke and Maddalena Lombardini Sirmen published quite recently, for example.

A gigging favourite of my quartet is Barrie Carson Turner's collection Beautiful Dreamer (Schott). It seems to have something for every occasion.