Maestronet Forums

Myself recorded - Mendelsohn vln cto 2nd mvt

violinissimo

I recorded myself the 2nd mvt of this concerto with a midi file played with my new toy the EWQLS Symphonic Orchestra Silver (music samples). Hope you enjoy it -

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Violini...hn_vln_cto_2mvt

This is another one I play with a free sample, not sounding so good, The Beethoven cto 1st mvt -

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Beethoven_Violinissimo

There are a few more pieces incl. the end of the Bach Chaconne (new), and comic cartoons painted by my daughter, if you become a member of my MSN group (need a "Net Passport or hotmail account) -

http://groups.msn.com/Violinissimo

Bravo - this is AWESOME!

I can't possibly imagine how you did it (so please don't say it was simple and add to our feelings of technical inadequacy).

Did you really synthesize the orchestra on a keyboard?

I found most of it utterly convincing, especially the strings and drums.

Presumably you recorded the orchestra and solo part separately then dubbed them together.

Did you record the solo parts in a 'single take' or were you able to splice together the good bits?

Well done. You put us to shame!!

Yes, I simply copy a midi file from internet, that was simple was it? Don't you think I play on the keyboard each part! There are plenty of midi files around, but most of them cannot be used unless the one who did it put so much effort that they made it exactly like a particular performer played it. These two works, Beethoven and Mendelsohn are the usable one. My salut to those guys who made it. There are tons of tempo and dynamic changes to make them just like a good performance.

Then I played along and make a recording wearing a headphone. All these works are not edited. They were played once and that is all. If it is not good, I play from scratch from the beginning. I do not have a studio, I have to pack away the microphones and mixer so each take the ambient will be so different that I cannot take twice and paste two recording together. Thanks for saying nice about it else I will not want to record any more.

Credit where it is due. Anything more advanced than sending an email on a computer impresses me but you have done something that I have thought about for a long time, namely recording myself as a means of keeping a record of progress.

Music is such an ephemeral thing - it just evaporates into the ether.

I know that when I hear my voice, I cringe. Did your recording have the same effect on you or were you pleased with your performances?

On the whole, your performances do you credit - not least because you play a movement from start to finish. I tend to pick out the bits I like!

A little nervousness comes through in parts and maybe excessive vibrato occasionally but the intonation is good as is the tone production.

What's the violin?

Good job violinissimo. What mic?

Glenn, recording yourself isn't really much more advanced than sending an email. Here's a few sites that give you some ideas on how to get started:

* http://www.pcw.co.uk/computeractive/featur...making-music-pc

* http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

* http://www.fluffbucket.com/othettutorials/audio/soundrec.htm

* http://www.mh2o.com/resources/pcstudio/default.asp

* http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_captured_act/

Neil

Quote:

..recording myself as a means of keeping a record of progress.

I know that when I hear my voice, I cringe. Did your recording have the same effect on you or were you pleased with your performances?

A little nervousness comes through in parts and maybe excessive vibrato occasionally but the intonation is good as is the tone production.

What's the violin?

When I studied in music conservatory, I had a tape recorded which I recorded every lesson, and its only use was I listen once about after nearly two years and decided I needed a change of teacher. Otherwise, it was no use. Now what concerns me is how well I can still play after a long period of not playing. My challenge is to "know" how to play, vs keeping up with practising. I know this recording I am not doing my vibrato properly, because I somehow have not played this movement for a long time (it is relatively easy), but a slow movement needs a lot of something else.

Do not say I am conceit, I listen to myself over and over again my "bad" recordings. Neither my daughter wants to listen to anyone else, she would ask, is this you playing, and if it is not me, she walks away. That is when she cannot tell the difference. I am just saying the truth. I have a lot of old vinyl LP, but my old amplifier has long since broken down, and I cannot say I can stand the more modern violinists - sorry, too much "something else" to cloud the issue of a correct violinistic intonation. There is no use to "listen carefully" and "play slowly". You just need to know "what" intonation and put the finger correct on the first note.

This violin is a Chinese Jiang Hoi Ying, one cheaper than the other Chen Jian Loong which won the VSA gold medal, which I prefer to not wear it out. The shop which I bought tried to convince me that another one in the shop had a "bigger" sound, but I know by experience this is the one which will be heard in a concert hall, and the tone is just great.

I've met a couple of violin makers in Shanghai but I'm not familiar with the ones you mention.

If I've understood you correctly, you have one by Chien Jiang Loong which won a gold medal and you are afraid to 'wear it out'?

I only understand that if you are trying to maintain an investment in pristine condition but if I were the buyer I would be pleased to know it had been well played in and from your point of view, why settle for second best?

Violins are made to sing and express themselves, not languish in a coffin.

Option 1, Mine are Behringer B1, about US$99 each, these things gone so cheap now, using a Behringer mixer (4 mic input model). One of the mic input has a problem, the e-cap that isolates the phantom 48V is faulty and generating a noise. Maybe I did something wrong when I tried to modify it (make the line-in accept a mic level input).

GlennYork, very good, but you need TWO mics, not one. I find a mono recording very depressing. I am so happy, that I make someone start to do recording. I am yielding good fruit. Its so better than to see many people talking but just cannot hear how they sound on the violin. Actually on another forum, a violinist started to record on a cheap clip-on mic and posted it (yes, mono). If you are going to play a concerto, I can show you how to get the free good sample which I used for my Beethoven. What we need are accompaniment midis.

GlennYorkPA, I found this mic, USB studio mic. Never tried it nor heard anyone commented about it. But it looks convenient, Only it will take up 2 USB inputs when recording stereo.

http://www.music123.com/Samson-CO1U-USB-St...55787.music?t=1

Also, Tascam has a USB soundcard which has two fantom powered mic inputs. I wish I got this rather than my Edirol soundcard and mixer.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122.html

What have you ordered?

Quote:

I've met a couple of violin makers in Shanghai but I'm not familiar with the ones you mention.

...you are afraid to 'wear it out'?

... why settle for second best?

Violins are made to sing and express themselves, not languish in a coffin.

You are right, the violin case DOES look like a coffin! Tonight I better take it out and play it. The reason why I got a second one is I play with a Christian band and it was like a war zone, and I bumbed my violin left and right against all the mic stands. Also my most expensive bow is so battered out of shape it does not look like a bow any more. I knocked out a corner off my Boulangier violin, it got repaired, but the make-up varnish has a different colour. See my troubles?

China is very big. I am sure there are also good violin makers in Shanghai. The oldest /best music conservatory in China is in Shanghai. My first violin teacher taught there. But the shop I went knows all the best makers in the south.

Correction about the spelling of my violin. it should be

"Chen Jin-nong". I speak two different Chinese language everyday commuting between ShenZhen and Hong Kong. You can tell where people are from the way they say "ShenZhen" or else "ShumChun". So I may spell the name differently everyday (:

I added to my http://groups.msn.com/Violinissimo a sight-reading of the Kreutzer sonata, 4 minutes, until I reached 1MB and also I began to make a lot of mistakes. I downloaded the midi file and played to a clip-on mic. No time to do better after dinner. Just to find how it would sound like, for anyone with spare time for bad recordings.

T Rocca, I am sorry, I cannot find a reliable location to host my files. MSN needs you to have a hotmail account or a "Net Passport" before you can access the "groups". Putfile only allows .mpg files. So what I did was to rename my .mp3 files into .mpg because mpeg videos uses .mp3 audio compression, but sometimes, individual media player or real player cannot understand the file, so refuse to play. This may happen to you now, is it so? Many has told me they are ok.

Quote:

.. I was just there a couple of weeks ago for a spare weekend during my Asia trip. Perhaps the next time we could meet up and you could show me better how to do this midi thing.

Glenn,

Do you come to China/Hong Kong often? I am so far away I never visited England again after my studying there. I don't think I can teach you much about midi, don't even have a fellow to chat about these things with here. But I can surely show you the place where I got my violins, or whatever you like to see here.

I thought you are making a record soon? What violin do you play?

I did yet another recording done just a minute ago today - Mendelsohn violin concerto 1st movement, just 4 minute before I made many mistakes, this midi file is too fast. Same web page as the Kreutzer -

http://album.hgcbroadband.com/album/public...hotos?aid=12239

Not using the EWQL library. I am doing everything on my notebook, I got a new Soundblaster Audigy ZS PCMCIA card, so I do everything on my notebook with a free soundfont not needing the big computer. But I cannot use the EWQL Silver samples there

Quote:

Holy cow this is cool. How long have you been playing? You can download the SW called, "The Amazing Slow Downer" and use it to change the tempo of the midi file without changing the pitch.

That would be useful, I think I browsed that Downer before, but I thought it was for wave files.

I started to learn violin long time ago at 19, and my last lesson was taken about twenty plus years ago.

What is "Holy cow"? Anything to do with "Holy Pig"?