Maestronet Forums

Severely Hearing Impaired or Deaf Violin Students

johnsr

On 7/12/2017 at 0:33 AM, ProdigiousLifeform said:

This comment is a remark that is not relevant. This shouldn't even be spoken of if you want to help someone... Please don't talk like this. You don't know what silence sounds like. Playing violin for enjoyment does not require ears. Someone could be playing to please someone for fun. Don't be rude.

Someone asks a question, or says they don't understand something, and you accuse them of being rude or irrelevant?

Wow, just wow! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundBite_Hearing_System makes me think that for some kinds of deafness, it would be possible to attach something hard (so that it conducts sound) to the violin body, bite it, and 'hear' the sound through the teeth. But no idea - the closest thing I'm aware of is that I feel some frequencies through the chinrest; mostly the lower ones - string G & D.

1 hour ago, A4tune said:

Reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundBite_Hearing_System makes me think that for some kinds of deafness, it would be possible to attach something hard (so that it conducts sound) to the violin body, bite it, and 'hear' the sound through the teeth. But no idea - the closest thing I'm aware of is that I feel some frequencies through the chinrest; mostly the lower ones - string G & D.

I have SSD (single sided deafness), I only hear about 5% in my left ear.  It's been this way my whole life.

Since my problem is my middle ear and not an ear drum or cochlea problem, I have considered getting a bone conduction hearing aid.  The bones in your skull can transmit sound directly to your inner ear.  (Test it out by putting the back end of a tuning fork on your forehead or biting it between your teeth.)  

But bone conduction only works for hearing impaired people who have a working inner ear.

People are often amazed when I tell them that I'm deaf in one ear, wondering how it is that I work as a professional musician.

• 2 months later...

I know this is very old-

Okay, interesting. I enjoyed reading the thread of hearing individuals attempting to understand why one would want to enjoy something that is seemingly out of reach.

I myself was born deaf. I have moderate to severe hearing loss, learned ASL and had intensive speech therapy to  speak properly. To understand deafness: there are currently 4 levels mild, moderate, severe, and profound. Profound being absolutely no hearing at all.

Even when a person is diagnosed with moderate hearing loss- oftentimes it is not only the volume that is lost- especially for those born with deaf. Pitch, depth, and width of the sound is also affected. For instance very low tenor including sounds of letters such as ch, s, f etc... those are mute to me; however, my late husband could not hear a high pitch sound, while I could. So even within the same category of moderate hearing loss certain aspects in similar individuals are as varied as the stars. For those losing hearing due to old age or illness it would likely be just volume that is affected- they also already had the experience of hearing before losing it. 

Now I myself absolutely love violin/piano, the sounds produced are exquisite. I can tell when my son practices, if he hit the wrong note or if it was scratchy.

However, I believe the thread is about a profound deaf individual.... in the deaf world deaf individuals absolutely love vibrations and the love alone should be enough to warrant a deaf individual to learn how to play.

A side note: growing up I always felt I wasn't "allowed" to play musical instruments because I was deaf and thus inferior, really, how could I produce meaningful music? At 35 I am beginning to play the violin, I have a wonderful teacher who is patient and encouraging. 

Do be sure to always encourage playing/learning musical instruments regardless of disability and regardless of your opinion or belief. What matters is that the individual is happy. 

Cheers 

tif 

On 6/29/2005 at 8:56 AM, thom said:

A couple of years ago a deaf cellist played Bach's sixth cello suite very well.

If this thread is to continue the very least we can do is make a clear distinction between "deaf" and "hearing impaired."  They are NOT the same thing any more than "legally blind" means "can't see."
The process of learning an instrument at a level high enough to perform the 6th. Bach Suite is many years of trial and error in the making.

A "deaf" person can't distinguish error, although certainly it's possible a "hearing challenged" person conceiveably could.  But then, as mentioned above, the whole issue of "political correctness" must of sorts raise its (very) ugly head.

• 3 years later...

Curiously, a few readers assume that hearing-impaired persons  could/would/should not attempt to learn to play a musical instrument yet some DO and succeed, while a large number of persons with unimpaired hearing play their instruments very badly.  Failure to play well must depend on more factors than auditory sensitivity?  

• 5 weeks later...

My hearing is bad.  I wear two hearing aids. Forgot a shoulder rest one day and never used it again.

I can feel so much through my collarbone that I like.  My intonation took a leap in improvement in the weeks after that.