Sign in to follow this  
lversola

Ebay buyer / seller "bowboy49"

Just a few hours ago, I posted a few bows on ebay. Within a half hour of posting the first one, I received this email from "boybow49" --

"Youn (sic) should try a stamp with a french name for chinese bows. The punters go crazy for Vingeron and Daniel Moinel. $10 in Beijing"

Thank you,

bowboy49

I don't know what this guy's deal is, and yeah, I know we talk about the rebranding thing all the time -- but I'm SHOCKED that somebody would just come straight out and not only accuse someone of doing this (and to also suggest on how to do it better), but to imply that he's done it!

If this guy's a seller (and I've already tried to look up his history -- he has no recent sales or purchases), we should all add this guy to the top of our Shady Seller list. And what the heck is a "punter"?

Anybody have any experience with this guy?

The nerve of this guy! So I reply to this guy, very nicely, I might add (verbatim)-

"Thanks for the tip -- I'm not a pro bow guy, but to the best of my knowledge, I believe these to be authentic, though I don't have certs."

And here's his reply:

"Why not take one to a reputable shop in your area and see what they say. I don't know where you are getting these , but I do know that the chinese are the only ones manufacturing anything at that price. I saw them in Beijing two weeks ago. Your brand stamp costs more than one bow."

MY brand stamp???? I wish I could just reach through the computer and slap this guy... And by this reply, does anyone think that this guy sounds like a dealer? I guess a lot of people go to China, but to me, it sounds like he went to China specifically to purchase falsely stamped bows to sell either through his shop or on Ebay.

You're right as usual, T. But this guy just made my %$@# list. And until I get to spend some time examining some real ones, remind me to stay away from any bows stamped Moinel or Vigneron (though I so do love real Vignerons)...

And I STILL want to know what a "punter" (and not of the Kevin Butler / Chris Barr variety) is.

A "punter" is English slang for a con man's mark.

From the OED

4. slang. The victim of a swindler or confidence trickster.

5. colloq. A customer or client; a member of an audience or spectator; spec., the client of a prostitute.

Thanks for the definition, Guy. Now I'm REALLY insulted. It'd be one thing if this guy were some self-rightous, recently burned buyer...but this guy seems like a dealer!

Two things really get me about this whole bowboy49 exchange. First of all, it really angers me that these sellers are so blatant about what they're doing, and also of the opinion they have of the typical Ebay violin/bow buyer. And second, on a more personal level, I'm upset that he just automatically assumed that I was "in on it", as if I'm in his little fraternity of shady dealers. Like I know what a "punter" is...

Quote:

From the OED

5. colloq. A customer or client; a member of an audience or spectator; spec., the client of a prostitute.

In modern usage only definition 5 as above is appropriate. There is no implication of the punter being conned - although bowboy49 certainly intends that they would be.

One or the problems is that these creatures have no fear of the things they do or say on ebay, because there are no natural predators there to stop them.

That's pretty brazen, I agree. But human nature is human nature. The real problem here is Ebay's lack of rules and policing. If people could sell counterfeit stock on the New York Stock Exchange, they would. And the NYSE would be happy to take a commission on those sales, just like ebay does. That's why we have the SEC and a host of fraud laws. In the mean time, it's good to know that people who are lazy enough to lie around counterfeiting bows for a living are always too sloppy to put the names on straight (or they burn the name half way thru the stick).

Why not ask for the address where they live, so you could visit him or her, and talk adout it? I bet you will never again hear from it again.

I myself have a brand stamp with my shop name on it, however I don't brand bows with ficticous names or the names of bow makers who have long since left this world, and I don't pretend to my customers that I make my own bows. I'm straightforward when asked about the country of origin and simply brand my shop name on them to promote my business.

Quote:

Quote:

From the OED

In modern usage only definition 5 as above is appropriate. There is no implication of the punter being conned - although bowboy49 certainly intends that they would be.

I actually think that in everyday English usage there is a slight implication that a "punter" is or can be a bit of a mug.

What's a "mug"? (And don't tell it's something like a punter.) Here in the colonies, it would be either my coffee cup or my ugly face. Or maybe you mean a "mugger" -- someone who robs you on the street?

mug /mVg/ n.6 & a.3 slang.M19. [Perh. a use of MUG n.3]A n.

1 A stupid or incompetent person, a fool, a simpleton; a gullible person. M19.

2 A person, a fellow; spec. a person on the opposite side of the law to oneself; (chiefly US) a hoodlum, a thug. L19.

Quote:

What's a "mug"? (And don't tell it's something like a punter.) Here in the colonies, it would be either my coffee cup or my ugly face. Or maybe you mean a "mugger" -- someone who robs you on the street?

I believe "mug" (UK) translates as "sucker" (US)in this context.

But we also have muggers (robbing b'stards) and coffee (tea)mugs.......

His webpage doesn't look like he's the sort of person who'd be sending such messages - is it really him, do you think, or is someone hiding behind his name?