Sign in to follow this  
bryan

steel strings without fine tuners

Would it be practical to use braided rope steel core strings without the use of fine tuners on the tailpiece? I know that with most solid steel core strings, fine tuners are recommended for ease of tuning. However, the rope core steel strings have more flexiblitity, thus this question. Thanks.

Rope core steel strings bend much more easily than solid core steel strings because each individual strand of wire in the core is much thinner than the single thick wire in the core of a solid core string. This gives the sensation of the strings being much more flexible. However, my suspicion is that the end-to-end "stretchability" of rope core and solid core strings is roughly the same since about the same amount of metal is present in the same pitched strings of both types. If your pegs fit really well and your tuning technique is very steady, you might be able to do without the fine tuners. Otherwise, you'd probably end up wanting to have the fine tuners with the rope core steel strings.

--Dick--

I've used Helicore strings on violin A,D,G strings without fine tuners, and that has worked just fine. But as Dick, above, noted, your pegs need to work well -- smoothly without wanting to slip. But they should work that way whether you have tuners or not.

I might add that I felt I could use Helicores and synthetic strings interchangeably with the same bridge. When using Helicore instead of synthetic strings I didn't feel the need for a lower bridge. (Some people believe that a violin should have a slightly lower bridge with steel strings because of the supposed increase in string tension.)

According to D'addario's literature, Helicores, in fact, have a lower string tension than do the corresponding gauge Zyex synthetics.

Quote:

I've used Helicore strings on violin A,D,G strings without fine tuners, and that has worked just fine.

Ditto for me, though I did wonder about it beforehand.

If you look at the cover of Jasper Wood's superb Canadian Caprices CD, he is holding his Scarampella violin (on loan from the Canadian Arts Council) shod with Helicore strings without fine tuners. Except for the E of course.

I've tried most steel strings - both solid and stranded (rope) core, and I think Helicore are the only ones you could practically use without fine tuners.