Maestronet Forums

The lure of the gorgeous..

techfiddle

Supposing that you have two violins: one, a serviceable, hardworking and reliable instrument that you practice on; and two, one with a gorgeous sound. And bows appropriate to each. Don’t you feel sometimes that the lure of hearing the beautiful instrument is a distraction from practicing?

I guess I’m saying that maybe sometimes the practicing should be done more in the spirit of good workmanship with nothing mysterious about it; there is something incredibly mysterious about the art, a depth that the technique merely serves. But that the careful workmanship that needs to be developed regularly can be lessened if there is this beautiful sounding instrument, which serves as a distraction?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Connie

A great sounding instrument should give one more incentive to pratice to a higher plain and open up new world of tone colors and sound. I never heard of a great teacher telling their students to pratice on the trashest instument they can find.

On another note, practicing on a not so superior instrument can also force you to work on your skills. It may require more attention to bowing pressure and speed to achieve a good tone from an inferior instrument and then when you switch to the superior one you perform flawless. Just an idea.

I hear ya. If I have one serviceble wife and a mysterious wife I'll leave my household to the serviceble one and hang out with the mysterious one. Though when it comes to violin I'd always stick to the mysterious one... as long as it's not haunted and starts making sound by itself; I believe my hard work would make it sound even more mysterious.

Why would you want to handicap yourself by playing with an inferior instrument when you could excel with a better? It takes a life time to learn this thing already why make it worse on yourself! Kind of like a bad marrage, why fight forever with an old stubborn nag when you could have a meaningful relationship with a virtuous compatable mate

I am joking. I have a good violin of which I am quite fond, and would never play the other one I have from before I got the good one. What is the point of having the good violin if you do not always use it?

That's funny . I suppose though if I were a blue grass or cajun fiddler, I would probly want a playable old battle axe for out door jam sessions or festivals. I would not want to use a 5k-10k-20k violin or a 3k bow outside in Louisiana's humid hot weather not to also count all the possible mishaps that could happen.

It makes sense to me, Connie.

Let me explain:

I have two instruments; the "best" one (best sound, greater commercial value, best maker) is a very good instrument; the other instrument is a "cheapier" one, but it`s easier to play, from the biomechanical point of view. I mean: the "best" is adjusted (strings height, soundpost, etc) to produce a good sound; the "cheap" is adjusted (ex.: lower strings) to allow technical easeness (and it doesn`t sound bad, just not as good as the other).

The result is that, when I want to play something as a Wieniawski caprice, I go to the "cheap"; when I want to play quartets, Mozart sonatas, unnacompanied Bach, etc., I go to the "best".

Does this make sense to you?

That introduces something else into the equation. In my case, my good violin is has both ease of play and the better sound and my "serviceable one" doesn't have either. So for me, both sound and comfort make it an easy choice (though if the situation were reversed, as it is in your case, I'd probably look for a good one that I also felt was comfortable/easy to play).

In my case both my best and my not quite as good are pretty close in quality and playability, the big difference is the tone quality, the better has a bigger more exciting tone, while the other has a deeper darker less complex tone. One person I lent the #2 to said it "sounds like a viola, but it's a violin" (it was meant as a complement, I think).

Hi all,

My choice is quite simple. If I played violin #1,yesterday then it more likely that I will practice on #1 today. Beautiy-and-value is not in the equation, but consistence is. Once I switch to #2, #2 will be my choice for sometime. Does this make sense? /yuen/

I agree too Yuen. Different violins will play differently to a certain respect. Once you get used to one's feel you tend to stick with that for a while. If you switch from one to another every day you may not have to time to fully adapt to the one's playing style. From most I've heard, one has a "main" violin that they use mostly and other(s) being back-ups.

Most high end players, good example being Joshua Bell, own and play the one instrument they are satisfied with. When Mr Bell bought the Gibson Strad, he immediately sold the Tom Taylor Strad. Methinks he could have possibly afforded both violins, but I think rather it is a matter of mastering the one violin and one's own performance to the height of perfection.

There is a German violinist who possessed a Strad, but because he was looking for the ultimate instrument for his own expectations and scope, sold it and now plays on a modern Greiner.