Sign in to follow this  
Bergonzi_Boy

Where can I buy Bois D'Harmonie?

I am trying to purchase a tailpiece. I have given up on Johnson Instruments because they do not respond to my queries. Is there anywhere else where people have successfully bought them? I have been looking at various distributor websites but none of them seem to even list them as products. So I guess I would like to know of anyone who has gone to a particular, specific shop and successfully purchased one please. Thanks.

I saw the violins.on.ca site. Unfortunately the prices are extremely high, like about 70% - 80% higher than the US price! Manfio, what do you mean - that I can buy them straight from D'Harmonie themselves? I live in Australia btw. Thanks

I think it's too much money for a tailpiece. I met Michael Tree yesterday, his viola (not the Busan, a modern viola) was fitted with a low profile tailpice with four tuners.

I ordered a Bois D'Harmonie cello tailpiece in ebony, along with their special tail loop, from Johnson by phone order and they were very helpful. It is a bit expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.

I am very pleased with it and recommend Johnsons. They are a quality shop. Give them a call!

Jimbow

Jimbo to Jimbow : First of all...sorry for the similarity. I didn't know you were out there or I could have tried another moniker.I kind of agree with Manfio that it seems like a lot of money for a tailpeice no matter what. I am new to building violins (real new) and was wondering what influenced you decision to purchase. I have seen several models of tailpeice and they appeared to be both presentable and functional .

Hi Jimbo

I'm of the opinion that this is pretty much a case that you get what you pay for. The Bois D'Harmonie might be more expensive, but they are *far* better carved than the bulk imports from say China or India and the basic material used seems quite superior as well. They are also far more attractive visually, although I suppose that is partially subjective. I have used them before and they are the best "sounding" tailpieces by far. Last time I used one and someone heard me from a distance, they could not believe how much better the violin was sounding (they were not aware anything had changed on it, and I never said anything before they commented). In any case, I don't know that $100 US is really expensive if you are buying fittings for a fine quality violin. There are plently of tailpieces around for 4 or 5 times more than that. I do think they probably aren't worth it on lesser violins though.

To Claire: Thanks alot for that. At Manfio's earlier suggestion I did write to his email address, although I sure hope he can understand English lol. I've written to a few places today (Canada and US) and I'll see what responses I get in the next couple of days.

".. what influenced you decision to purchase?"

Jimbo,

I have to agree with Bergonzi Boy...

"The Bois D'Harmonie might be more expensive, but they are *far* better carved than the bulk imports from say China or India and the basic material used seems quite superior as well. They are also far more attractive visually, although I suppose that is partially subjective".

He summed up why I decided to try one after reading many recommendations. Certainly an attempt to optimize tone was also a big factor as he points out.

Jimbow

You can order on line from Johnson String Instruments with a credit card. They ship by various methods. Just received and order from them for strings , and other accessiores ordered last Wed. received priority mail on Sat. Their website is www.johnsonstring.com...but assume you know that.