Sharp your gouges and scrapers

TSENGLO

I have never been woodworking before I took up the violin making few months ago. Finally I learn how to sharp my LN blades from a woodworking show last month, it works so well after I learn the tricks. I am still in mist of how to sharp my gouges and scrapers though I do have sharping tools for both of them. Please kindly provide me all the tips. Thanks in advance.

This is probably one of the most difficult things for me too. I have recently bought a waterstone that has pre-cut grooves for various gouge sizes, it works well but the edge does not seem to last long which means I have to do it every 10 minutes or so which carving. There is also this product which I have no experience with but it looks good.....http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3890

Of course, if money is no object then the Tormek is ideal.

Search Google for sharpening tips on scrapers, I once found an on-line video showing a scraper sharpening demo.

Hi Tsenglo,

Like yourself, I am a beginner. I sharpen by hand on an oil stone. For sharpening gouges, I get better results if I sharpen one half of the arc (of the cutting edge) at a time. This is easier than holding the proper angle while turning the gouge across the entire cutting edge. I can control smaller changes in position. Also, After grinding on the rough stone, I get better results if I only sharpen a little bit on the fine stone. A few seconds, then I buff the edge. It doesn't get sharper if I work and work and work on the fine stone. A few seconds is enough.

Cam

Amori,

I could not figure out how the oar sharper from woodcraft will work even with the picture. Can you tell how? and what is Tormek. I will call Woodcraft see if they could tell me how.

Oded, what bothered me is the outside of gouge which is half circle. Dowel thing only for inside gouges??

I have one of those oar sharpener. I used it twice, then went back to my hands again. At the end, I find my hands better than that tool.

When I learned sharpening from Claudio. He nagged me 2 hours with "You must feel the blades...". It took me about 1 year to learn "how to feel that blade" with my hands. Although I am not perfect at it yet, but I think I am getting close. At least, I can find the angle consistently with my hands now.

Tormek is a sharpening machine.

http://www.tormek.com/index_gb.htm

It will cost you another $600~900 depending what you want to have with it.

I was amazed that LN blading sharping though it is a stright and simple one to sharp. However, it is very hard to sharp the hald circle gouge with consistency angel, this is my biggest problem. I would rather back to hand more often if there is $600-900 expense for this purpose. There are jungle of tools to buy, no ending shopping really bother me now.