Maestronet Forums

Does anyone know...

Jill

...of a really good person/establishment to improve the set-up of my violin in or around Yorkshire? I certainly want my sound-post checking as it fell down last Christmas when I took off all four strings at once blush.gif and had to get it placed again in a hurry at the local music shop.

Jill

Don't think there's many people on here who've heard of Yorkshire (shame, it's beautiful!)

Anyway I have been to Turner Violins in Beeston (near Nottingham), not that near Yorkshire, but close to the M1 and right next to the railway station in Beeston if that's any help. They seemed quite experienced.

They have a website at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/turnerviolins/

and a page on maestronet http://www.maestronet.com/turner/

Good Luck with the soundpost

Jane

Jane: Wasn't James Herriot out of Yorkshire?

And we've heard of the pudding--there's nothing quite so wonderful as a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding--isn't it twice as much milk to a measure of flour mixed with a couple of eggs and poured over steamed roast beef drippings (with a soupcon of nutmeg) then baked till nice and fluffy high?

I wish I lived in England; I wish I lived in England; I wish I lived in England--(am tapping my heels together with summer sneakers on, but nothing's happening.) frown.gif

Best regards,

Theresa

Well, I was hoping (though it was a bit of a long-shot) for some info. on someone a little more on my doorstep as I'm going away in less than 3 weeks and would have liked to be able to sort my violin out before then - I leave everything to the last minute! Thanks anyway, Jane and MikeH - your advice/offer could be of some use in the long-term.

You make me laugh, Theresa! I've no idea how on the proportions of the ingredients for Yorkshire Pudding as I just let my mum get on with making it while I reserve all my energies for eating. BTW you're right, James Herriot (aka Alf Wight) worked in the Yorkshire Dales, though he was Scottish. Yorkshire's also famous for the Bronte sisters. I live very close to Haworth and its parsonage.