Maestronet Forums

Suzuki recordings

bryan

I have the Book 1 CDs by Suzuki and the one by David Nadien. The Nadien CD also has the piano accompaniments for all the pieces. Apart from that I haven't formed a preference for one over the other and listen to them interchanable. Suzuki's version has some additional sentimental value of course.

As an aside, I've really found the accompaniments useful when I slowed them down. First, I imported them into Audacity (shareware music utility software) and slowed them down by 50%,33%, and 25%. Then I re-recorded the pieces onto a CD which has each of the pieces arranged progressively faster up to original tempo.

My daughter and I play along as a review for the "old" pieces that she already knows. The slowest versions are easy to keep up with so it encourages clean play with good tone. It's a fun way to practice and an aid to attaining full tempo.

HH

Funny you should mention this. Just last week I asked a good friend who is runs a Suzuki school what the differences were between the three. She said that she found the Suzuki tempos to be too fast for her taste, although they were the first recordings; she said that the Nadien recordings were very accurate; and that the Cerone ones were the most musical. I haven't listened to them myself, and I can see that having the piano accompaniments could give someone more to play with for the money! I went for the Cerone, because I value musicality above speed, but probably the Nadien recording would have also been a good choice.

I was thinking I would not get these as I can sight sing the things in Volume 1 but am now questioning this. I am an adult beginner. Will the recordings somehow help me? Do all the the recordings have piano to play along with?

Much appreciation...

-Karla

My teacher is a semi-Suzuki teacher, meaning she is flexible. I went thru Book 1 but then we switched to another book.

I had read enough to anticipate that she would have me buy the CDs, but she does not recommend them early on at all. The pieces are played fast and students come in the next week all frustrated because they think they must play that fast. She finds it non-productive unless a parent is controlling the situation and the child is kept going slowly even tho they are listening to the CDs, which is good under that circumstance. She has the same problem with adult students thinking they are supposed to play that fast too, but no parent is keeping tabs on them, so she holds off on students getting them.. (She actually disagrees with the tempo of some of them).

It's very frustrating that the recordings are all too fast. I can play them that fast, but would never encourage any of my students to do it. They are so fast that they are not musical. I had thought that maybe they only had so much time (like on record) and were playing it all so fast so that theycouldfititallon (could fit it all on)!

The slow down software is great. Unfortunately, many students can't figure out how to use it on a computer. There is also a MIDI version available, with an included CD recorded by Linda Perry. Haven't tried, though.

I rarely use the 1st CD because new students find it frustrating, or try to play too fast. I always tell the students to listen to how the piece is being played rather than the speed. Wish I didn't have to. Sometimes I just record the songs myself in the lesson.

My daughter's teacher used to make a slow recording of each new piece on an endless cassette tape (I think there might even be commercially available recordings like this). Later, after we got a minidisc player, she would record them on minidisc and we would burn them to a cd.