Viola Concertos

Lillian

Does anyone know of any good viola concertos or significant pieces for viola and orchestra that would be harder than the Stamitz/Hoffmeister level but a little easier than the Hindemith Der Schwanendreher? My teacher would like me to do one more concerto before the Hindemith, I don't care for the Weber Andante and Hungarian Rondo and I've just finished Bloch Meditation and Processional so probably not one of the Suites.

Does anyone know anything about the Cecil Forsyth concerto is it at this level? and does it have a mvmt. that would be appropriate for youth orchestra auditions? I've heard it mentioned and am ingrigued but I don't want to buy the music (around $20) unless it seems appropriate. If anyone could direct me towards any online recording clips that would be great (Amazon.com doesn't seem to have a recording of it) I'd like to hear just a bit before ordering it or even suggesting it to my teacher for that matter in case I really dislike it for soem reason (unlikely). Anyway thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

So much good stuff out there, if you look a bit! And so much of it's better than the standard classical Hoffmeister/Stamitz, in my opinion....try the Joseph Schubert C Major concerto, if you want something classical......an outstandingly written concerto...there's also quite a bit by other members of the Stamitz family, Rolla, etc...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm actually playing the Hummel Fantasy right now it's a nice piece, but it doesn't really seem like it would be great for auditions. I'll have to look into the Rebecca Clarke Sonata at some point some of my friends who also play the viola are jsut crazy about it. As for the Walton I think my teacher is planing on the Hindemith being the first of the big three concertos (Walton, Hindemtith, Bartok) that I play. I guess I'll have to look into some of the more obscure concertos or maybe my teacher has come up with something since we talked last. Any ideas are appreciated.

Have you heard the Nystroem (Nyström) concerto? I had a friend who played it somewhere between all the other "standards" mentioned here, so I'm guessing the level would be OK.

Also, I posted a link a little while ago which might be interesting if you're looking for new repertoire:

http://www.mic.stim.se/avd/Mic/Prod/micn...e/Viola2004.pdf

Helen Callus has recorded a CD called A Portrait of the Viola with music by British women only. When I talked to ger she was plannning another recording with viola concertos too. You could ask her for some ideas -- www.helencallus.com!