Maestronet Forums

Gut string question for gut players

Nemo

I'm thinking about trying out gut strings. Never used them so I'm doing it just for the experience of it. Currently I'm using Obligato's. I was wondering if there is a big difference between cheaper gut strings (i.e. D'Addario) than that of pirastro's 40+ dollar Eudoxa's and 60+ dollar Olives?

I'm using the Eudoxas and I love them. I have heard good things about the Kaplan and for the money you really can't go wrong. You may want to consider the lower priced ones too see if you like gut strings. If you do, the Olivs would be the best bet (IMO).

I believe Pirastro is still doing their free trial set. Just email them expressing your interest in wanting to try gut strings and ask them if they can send you a trial set. Mine arrived in about two weeks. I asked for the Eudoxas not wanting to be too greedy asking for the Olivs. A friend of mine asked for the Olivs and received them.

www.pirastro.com

Good luck!!

I wish I would have done that too. Anyway, I bought my first set a few months ago. They seem a bit nicer to my ear than Eudoxas. But it's still not everything I'm looking for, on my violin.

I understand that the greatest gut violin strings might be Duglecki, and I want to try them as soon as I can.

It's interesting, that a few years ago, (pure) gut strings were laughed at. Only an old member of Maestronet HKV, spoke alot about them. But now, I seem to see them becoming slightly more popular in the world.

In fact, my Luthier (who is from a long line of musicians in his family) said that (pure) gut strings certainly give the better sound, but they cost too much/break too easily, therefore they are not so common.

I never thought of it as being so clear as that!

A pure gut A string can be very enjoyable, and produces a more "natural" sound, with a bit of edge to it. I was originally turned on to them by Lillian Fuchs, who used them exclusively on her Da Salo viola. I took chamber music with her at Manhattan School of Music, and she would demonstrate a lot. The sound of her Da Salo with the gut A was sizzling and penetrating, also extremely beautiful. Pirastro Chorda is excellent, and costs roughly the same as aluminum wound. The way to make them last and not be so hard to keep in tune is to rub the string with a very small amount of olive oil every day for the first week, and as needed after that. If you do that, they will be just as stable and long-lasting as any other A string. I have never tried a gut D, but it could be interesting. All Best, Larry.

Quote:

A pure gut A string can be very enjoyable, and produces a more "natural" sound, with a bit of edge to it. I was originally turned on to them by Lillian Fuchs, who used them exclusively on her Da Salo viola. I took chamber music with her at Manhattan School of Music, and she would demonstrate a lot. The sound of her Da Salo with the gut A was sizzling and penetrating, also extremely beautiful. Pirastro Chorda is excellent, and costs roughly the same as aluminum wound. The way to make them last and not be so hard to keep in tune is to rub the string with a very small amount of olive oil every day for the first week, and as needed after that. If you do that, they will be just as stable and long-lasting as any other A string. I have never tried a gut D, but it could be interesting. All Best, Larry.

Hense, your user name?

florea,

I just received a set of trial strings from Pirastro (Evah Pirazzi's, for the viola, mucho bucks); i did not get an email acknowledgement of my request. Thre strings simply appeared in the mail a couple of weeks later.

Nice strings, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Florea, I tried to PM you back but it appears that you have your profile set up not to receive Private Messages. The email I sent to Pirastro was through their general information email link. I didn't fill out the questionaire until after I tried the strings. Mine took between two to three weeks to arrive.

• 1 year later...

quote:

Originally posted by:
K544

florea,<br /><br />I just received a set of trial strings from Pirastro (Evah Pirazzi's, for the viola, mucho bucks); i did not get an email acknowledgement of my request. Thre strings simply appeared in the mail a couple of weeks later.<br /><br />Nice strings, too.

How did you do it? I filled out a form last year on their website, but never received anything from them.

Larry, I thought guta was Japanese. :-)