Maestronet Forums

Biger Violin Biger Sound?

Fellow

If you take a look at

(1)the Video of Midori (live in Carnegie Hall)

(2)Vengerov (in the gardens of Spain)

(3)Julia( in Four Season of Vivaldi)

others,

in these performance tapes or DVD, their instruments they usd all looked large to me. /yuen/

I`ve seen Vengerov playing live a few times and have quite a few videos and DVDs and his violin defintely looks normal,`apart` from depending on what type of Television you have they may appear longer or deeper than normal.

I recently bought a new TV set,on my old one Joshua bells old violin ,the `Tom Taylor` Strad always looked very slim and longer than reality.

One can't make a judgement on the size of sound from a DVD or CD. Only if you were there would you be able to make some type of judgement. If you look at Pincus Zukerman you note his fiddle looks small because he is a large man.

Quote:

Hi All,

I notice that soloists use large violins (like violas) in performances.

(mostly large flat top Strads or the likes). Is it for the biger sound? Please comment. /yuen/

Incorrect. I think you're having a problem with "scale". Golden period Strads are generally "normal" size instruments, in terms of length. Many del Gesu violins are smaller than these Strads (353mm + or-). These fiddles do have healthy measurements across the C bouts in common.

I have an old German Strad copy, probably early twentieth century, that is oversize. It has a lot of resonance and is loud and nasal under the ear but doesn't carry well. A luthier said he could improve the tone with some interior work but was quick to answer no when I asked about carrying power. He then explained why bigger isn't better and commented about some French violins that tried the idea.

I never had the work done and just accept the fiddle for what it is. With a mic or pickup it would be a good dance fiddle. It isn't muffled and is better than a lot of other factory fiddles. Some people have a problem with a longer stop length but I adjust to it easily.

Almost certainly an optical illusion. Although some violins are a little bigger than others, it is difficult to see the differences. Especially on video or film. However, once violins come to hand, it is quite easy to feel/see the relative sizes.

I have an "experimental" violin on which I removed the margin. It's amazing what a difference that makes to the looks. The violin looks much smaller and it alters the proportions so that the C-bouts look much bigger and the rest looks smaller. Quite nice, actually.