Maestronet Forums

GLIGA Strad vs GLIGA Guarneri. Anyone hear a diff?

WesRist

I find the Gliga instruments confusing. From trying one myself a while ago and also from reading every post about them on this site I have definately concluded they are all nice and smooth, but not really "stand outish" enough so that you could solo with them and project a lot.

Yet nobody seemed to distinguish between his Strad model and his Guarnerius model. Has anyone tried them side-by-side? How could he get the same sound, or reputation for a sound, using two different models? Or do they sound different?

Thanks!

Wes

You are talking two groups of violins (one model is one group).

for me ,it is hard tell one violin from another.

Given two groups,it

is impossible, if difference exists,it may not due to models reason. I know a Guarneri has longer f-holes than Stad, so one should expect some "tonal" difference. Some hear it,other don't hear it as expected.

So, answers may vary. /yuen/

You know, it's funny; looking at the pictures on the Gliga websit, the two models follow basically the same outline, scroll pattern, and arching. Neither model matches the name that it's associated with, and the only real difference between the two is the cut of the f-holes. I doubt you'll find any significant tonal difference between the two.

Not true, although I agree that neither on is probably not very similar to the original Strads or Guarneris, there are differences between the outline of the two models in the Gliga line. The Gliga Guarneri is really large especially in the width of the instrument compared to the Strad which is more normal (in dimension). Overall I think the Guarneri model is quite bulky and less comfortable to play with no benefit in tone quality. Both models usually have clubby necks anyway, but If I were going to recommend one I would choose the Strad model.

Personally I wouldn't mind trying one of his Strad models, but since I live in Canada and the one I am interested in is only in the States I'm afraid that if I change my mind I'll still get stuck with hundreds of dollars in lost border taxes. So that's why I'm dying to hear if anyone has tried both.

Thanks!

Wes