Maestronet Forums

More peg conundrums

guta

As long as we have been discussing pegs, here are my two pet peeves. I always have to use a pair of tweezers when putting on an A string to pull it through. Many people I know don't bother doing this, just stick the string in the hole and tighten. However, I like to have my pegs in a position so that it easy to get a good grip. This is usually close to horizontal, with a slight tip away from the player.. The E of course doesn't matter, although a couple of people tell me they want their E peg more vertical than horizontal so that it does not interfere with vibrato on the E in first pos. Does anybody have thoughts on this----- Best, Larry.

I know a cellist who's very picky about peg head position, and will re-thread them until they're where he wants them. He uses gut strings.

I personally prefer violin pegs on the bass side to be almost vertical, maybe with the top tilted a bit to me. Just now it's an academic question, though; the fiddle that most often comes to hand has Helicores, and I mostly use the fine tuners, only turning the pegs enough to keep them working.

I agree ... I like the "E" peg head vertical for extra left hand space and all the others slightly tipped away from horizontal while in playing position. Comfort is very important to me as a player and I find that once I point this out to my customers they totally agree and wondered why they never thought of doing it.