Sign in to follow this  
fiddler2

James Brunskill Violin - need info please

Hi everyone,

I need some background information on James Brunskill violins. Could some of you please educate me on them? The label also reads, "Skelton-in-Cleveland"

Many thanks!

I'd put Brunskill up with the top north east makers - Temple of Morpeth, Askew of Stanhope, Lindsay of Stockton on Tees. Unfortunately he was also in the habit of branding and labelling trade instruments as though of his own manufacture. Unless you have seen the real ones - and I've seen three or four and had a couple pass through my hands - there might be difficulty in determining which you have. Also Berwick on Tweed and Newcastle is where I've seen them labeled - never seen Skelton in Cleveland.

Another James Brunskill, possibly?

Hope this helps

Nial

Sorry - can't remember ever having seen or heard of this maker. Perhaps if you start a seperate thread someone might see and respond who is familiar with his work?

Best of luck anyway.

Nial

On 4/18/2005 at 12:27 PM, ken_barlow said:

Nial,

Have you ever heard of a North East(ish)maker from Normanby, nr Robin Hood's bay, called Thomas Dixon?

I have one of his violins (c1927) in a very sorry state of repair.

He is one of my ancestors! I have all the newspaper cuttings and photographs about the violins and organs that he made in normanby. I have his three visitor books that he kept as people from all over the country came to view his instruments. I’ve never seen one of his violins in real life. 

Sarah Brady