Maestronet Forums

Looking for opinions...

Acyla

O.K., I'll stick my neck out. To me this is quite an attractive instrument. Not being an expert on Italin makers I would not hazard a guess on whether it is a Martini or not.,or even if it is Italian. I like the original antiqueing combined with what looks like authentic wear, it looks to be in really nice condition, the length is normal, the varnish a nice color.The fact that it is being sold on that venue pretty much guarantees that it is not an authentic Oreste Martini. People are not fools, and it has undoubtedly been shown around, and an effort made to determine value. If I were doing it I would buy it for a few hundred on spec, take a vacation in London and show it to Charles Beare. There is little to lose, and whoever made it, it is a lovely instrument. All Best, Larry.

I just looked up Oreste Martini in Eric Blot " Liuteria Italiana" vol. 2.P.246-7. The ebay violin looks nothing like the Martini pictured. I'm starting to think German- mainly based on the overall neatness of construction and also the corners seem flatter than most Italians.

The side view of the pegbox appears to have what I call a 'German drop'. The French and Italians liked the sides of the pegbox to be gracefully parrallel like a swan's neck. Side views of famous German (except Stainer and Italian trained) pegboxes start stout at the nut and then drop off around the 3rd peg back.