Maestronet Forums

Are you left or right handed?

HongDa

I seem to meet alot of left handed violin makers.

Michael just mentioned in another post he is left handed also.

So I wonder if I just happen to run into lefties or if there are a high percentage of left handed violin makers.

Are you left, right or ambidextrous?

I'm left handed.

I'm left handed, use a knife right-handed, but set a post through the left f-hole left-handed. I know, it sounds awkward, but I was never able to do it through the right f-hole, plus I like to insert a small ruler through the right f-hole to see where post is setting into place.

Right handed...but use the left hand for detail oriented tasks, and the right for strength and control, if that makes sense?

So all this begs the question....was Strad a righty or lefty. There must be some way to tell... we need one of those experts, like on CSI with the signature and penmanship analyzers. It would be interesting to learn which way all the famous names out there batted.

I'm semi-ambidextrous; write right-handed most of the time, but can write lefty, and do most sports lefty. Violinmaking, I normally start with the tool in my right hand, but I find it handy to be able to switch hands. And with an arching gouge I switch back and forth a lot.

I like to use both hands to adjust the post (assuming I have the instrument in a secure cradle). Holding a setter in each hand, and using one through each sound hole, I can very carefully guide the post into place.

Hi,

I hold a golf club, an axe or a spade with my left hand forward, so I suppose I started out naturally left handed. However I was probably tought to use the right hand, so my brain must have changed sides somewhere along the line!

Cheers Wolfjk