Sign in to follow this  
michaelg16

Joseph Klotz violins

I was talking to the 2nd chair principle vioinist in the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. He said that one of his students puchased a Joseph Klotz vioin. He stated that it sounded just like a Strad. but it was NOT a violin that would appreciate in value a lot over time. I was wondering if this would be a good violin to puchase for the SOUND QUALITY? Can anyone back this up?

Thanks, Michael

"I was wondering if this would be a good violin to puchase for the SOUND QUALITY?"

If it sounds "just like a Strad," what were you wondering about? Were you wondering if you could find a better sounding one?

Hi,

Often a violinist mades a comment on a violin,he/she does not mean serious.(only heard a few notes played) It does not mean a recommendation. If you want to buy it you should pursuit further if he really thinks the sound was so good and ask one or two more violinists to hear it. Remember judgement on

tone is subjective. /yuen/

I'm guessing Michael is talking about Geoffrey Applegate, in which case I swapped a few emails with Geoffrey on that subject in 2003. He was indeed pretty enthusiastic about the Klotz. I remember he and I agreeing that they were fantastic player's instruments and quite well priced if they were sought after on the merits of tone.

As for sounding like a Strad, well to be honest I don't even think it would hold a candle to Geof's own Gagliano which is a beautiful sounding instrument in his particular hands. But I feel what Geof really was trying to say is that from a players perspective it really did make playing and expressing oneself (almost) as easy as if it were a Strad. Plus of course there was the clear (huge) price advantage of a Klotz over a decent Classical period Italian and of course even 19th century Italian instruments.

In the end, if Geof says it is good, then it IS good.

When violinists I know say "it sounds like a Strad" it is not usually meant in the literal sense, but is more of an enthusiastic endorsement. The phrase seems to be used a lot, and I put it in the category of "she's a living doll" or "it's the best thing since sliced bread" Just my op. All best, Larry.

Thank you every one.

Bergonzi_boy yeah I am talking about Geoffrey Applegate. I asked him his opinion on a good violin to purchase. He was at the Wayne State Orchestra Day for student players. He recomended the Klotz violin.

Thanks, Michael