Maestronet Forums

Suspicious Seller(s)??

fiddler2

I don't know if the following seller is suspicious or not, but I'm getting a little worried due to lack of response. Does anyone have any knowledge of seller nanuk41 in Germany?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

I won the auction two weeks ago (Sunday March 20) and paid early the next morning using PayPal. The seller wasn't new to eBay (registered 2001) and had 100% positive feedback, and also met another of my criteria for bidding on higher dollar eBay items - he/she promptly answered my e-mail asking about the varnish on the violin a day or two before auction end. However, since the auction ended two weeks ago, the seller has not answered any of the three polite e-mails I have sent asking for information on when the violin was shipped.

I'm trying to be patient since several other Buyers left very nice feedback several weeks after other auctions ended, and there seem to be many satisfactory sales of violins. I'm hoping this Seller is honest and has shipped the violin and just hasn't been checking e-mail, but I've gotten worried when three very polite, brief e-mails asking for shipping info have gotten no response over a two-week period.

Does anyone know the seller (nanuk41 - inkam41 at aol.com) ? Or do you have any advice on how long you would wait to report the non-response to eBay if you were a buyer in this situation? Thanks!

You say you got a Jesek (sorry, Jesek labelled) instead of a Jusek (sorry, Jusek labelled). That's ridiculous.

...generally, would you agree that it is irrelevant what actually the label says if it is faked anyway.

My mistake. I took a look at the label, wrote Jusek in the description, because I thought that I;d have read that inside, and that's it. You got your money back, I learned my lesson how to avoid such people like you.

I sent a 4th request for shipping info before reporting the non-response to eBay, and finally received a reply that the violin shipped on the 31st. (I won the auction late on the 20th and paid early morning of the 21st via PayPal). Ten days seems like a long time to elapse before shipping, but I'm hoping that the violin will arrive in the next few days, in good condition and matching the description and photos.

Be aware that German mail sucks. It could easily take a month to arrive. I have had fiddles make it from Germany in a week, but 3 to 4 weeks is more the norm. Also, at that price, your violin could take a detour thru US customs. Regardless, it looks like a nice violin, worth the price and the wait. Enjoy.

Thanks for the additional info on shipping from Germany to the U.S. My winning bid was $610, so I suppose it will get held up in Customs. I noticed that much of the positive feedback for this seller was left almost a month after end of auction so I didn't expect to receive it very quickly, but I was concerned during the two weeks when the seller did not respond to my e-mails asking for shipment confirmation. I'm a little disappointed to now learn that he/she waited ten days to ship after I paid via PayPal, but if the violin arrives safely and matches the auction description, I will be satisfied with the purchase in spite of the delay.

Many/most European and Canadian ebay buyers specifically request USPS as the preferred method of shipping from the US. Frankly, I dislike using USPS. It's slow, they frequently lose or damage packages and I just think it's not a dependable service. We will ship USPS, we just tell our customers ahead of time that we are not responsible if they don't get the package. We do guarantee delivery with UPS, and yes it is a bit more expensive.

I've had UPS damage a violin in shipment and then refuse to honor the insurance claim. But I now suspect that the seller didn't insure it, and the automatic $100 coverage is what was denied. Personally I've had better luck with USPS, but Adam has shipped thousands more items that I ever will, so statistically his advice is better.

USPS is preferred because it is A LOT cheaper and there is something like a 50% chance that the item will slip through without attracting the attention of customs - this never ever happens with a private carrier. Furthermore, VAT is charged on the total cost INCLUDING shipping, therefore having a high shipping cost, which volumetric pricing guarantees is the case with violins, adds to the VAT cost as well.

Surely USPS offer compensation?

Liz

Liz

Since I posted my question/concern about a seller (nanuk41 in Germany) on page 3 of this thread, I thought I would follow up and say that the violin arrived today April 8 (won this auction on March 20 and paid via PayPal early on March 21).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

The violin seems to be in good condition and fairly close to the advertised description. Not quite as gorgeous as the listing photos (attached), but it certainly seems like it is worth at least what I paid ($670 with shipping). The label reads 1883 and of course eBay labels are always suspect, but I noticed something interesting: The inside of the violin smells just like the quality circa-1900 violins I tried out at a nice violin shop near me, but could not afford at this time ($2,000 to $3,000 range). I've bought some other very old violins that smelled old but kind of bad inside, but this has a nice old smell, like a violin that has been played a lot but always kept in a nice, clean case in a proper location. I don't know if this makes any sense, but I wonder if any of you ever find that the interior smell of a violin helps to confirm the age?

I played for about a half hour and it sounds quite good so far, but I'm going to experiment with different strings and probably have a new bridge made, have the soundpost position checked, etc.

Thanks again for your earlier advice.

Here's one of these same batch of Chinese hawkers ( See thread on Baroque violins from SHAR) (here's his listing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...352842&rd=1 with some pretty self-incriminating info. I emailed one of these sellers of "Very pretty antique violin good sound!" the following question:

"Any possibility you have 12 violins just like this one?"

Here's his answer:

Dear friend:

Thanks for your email.

Yes we have more. if you buy more , we can give you postage discount.

If you have any other question,please contact with us in time.

Sincerely

Chinese friend ¡¡¡¡

They just don't get it, do they? They seem to think we're all idiots!