Maestronet Forums

weird case

Janabanana

Well, they are handy when having to lug around many instruments for shows and conferences. The violins are staggered so that they do not interfere with each other and are usually protected by a thick blanket or panel between the top and bottom halves, but I imagine that like anything the better quality cases protect better than just any ol' cheap one. I have a few of these and they come in very handy in the right situation.

They're frequently used by dealers. A client who wishes to try out some violins can do so quite easily and more safely with one of these cases. If and when I have occasion to travel into NYC with multiple violins I use either one of these cases or a double case. It sure makes negotiating subway turnstiles a whole lot easier.

For carrying a lot of violins around, I often use large suitcases. The ones I have will each hold four full-size set up violins protected with bubble wrap. If the violins are not set up and include smaller sizes, I can fit six or seven in. My suitcases do not provide quite as much protection as the quad violin cases, but they're adequate for many situations and much cheaper - under $5 at yard sales.

Jeffrey- The case is nice, but the violins in it are what I'm looking at. I'm guessing the one in the upper left could be the Bernardel you showed on another post. How about telling what they are now that you have pulled back the curtain? This is off topic, pl. frgv. Larry.

You were correct Larry.. That's a Gustave Bernardel. The angle of the camera just shook your confidence...

Actually, a Bernardel guess would have yeilded a 50% chance in that case. The other violin in the lid is an A.S.P. Bernardel.

The lower two are '20s Roths. A Strad model and a Guarneri model that I liked... so I stuck them away.