Maestronet Forums

Violin front?

Acyla

This is another good one. I wish I had begun a collection way back of Ebay listings by people with English language difficulties. Some of them are pretty funny.

About a year ago there was a German guy with a listing for an old violin that was rich and pregnant. Before the auction ended, he corrected "pregnant" to "full."

Quote:

VIOLINS COME WITH A PROTECTIVE HARD SHELL FABRIC CASE HORSE HAIR BOW CHIN VEST. BRIDGE. ROSIN. CASE STRAP AND FOUR FIND TUNING KEYS. (NEW) ALL ITEMS ON EBAY IS PATENT OR PATENT PENDING I AM NOT INFRINGMENT ON ANYBODY PROPERTY. IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE BUY IT AND BE HAPPY WITH IT, THANK YOU FOR LOOKING.

This is the "back of the violin text". I don't think the seller can post more than one picture. The seller's other items use copied descriptions and didn't even do that well. Hey, its easy to be an ebay seller!

Is a chin vest a beard? Where do you find the "four find tuning keys". I am not infringement either except when my chin vest is too long.

Jesse

Thanks for a good laugh! I liked the shipping stuff, too:

Shipping: $3.00 (is he folding the front and stuffing it in an envelope, or what?)

Then below, it says:

PAYPAL ACCOUNT. SHIPPING DISCOUNT 1/2 PRICE OF $8.00/ $4.00 THANK YOU. CHAR6N@AOL.COM BUY THE FRIST 2TH ONE FREE.

So, shipping is $3.00, but if you pay with paypal, you get it for half of 8 which is 4?????? Boy, am I confused!!

Jana

I saw that text for the back.. now should we be expecting the sides to go up for auction soon? :)

The price difference is interesting. $180 for the back and the front starts at 99c with a reserve.

I'm keeping tabs on all the people that don't seem to know what they're talking about. *grins* This guy is funny because he has a quick temper and he's basically saying, "you see something you like.. buy it.. I'm tired of this thing wasting space."

But to his credit, $3 shipping for a violin sounds very good. Wonder if he's taken in the dimensions of the case or does he intend on trying to stuff it in an envelope.

PAYPAL ACCOUNT. SHIPPING DISCOUNT 1/2 PRICE OF $8.00/ $4.00 THANK YOU. CHAR6N@AOL.COM BUY THE FRIST 2TH ONE FREE.

Oh my.. two violins. Mmmmm... *snickers* The more I read into this the more amused I get.

Acyla

My son was in Japan for 2 months last fall taking Japanese Language classes, and is returning in 3 weeks for at least 2 years. He found some very funny translations from Japanese into English in stores: on a package of very sharp kitchen knives: "please keep out of children!"

There's also a hilarious website dedicated to these Japanese translation errors, that had me rolling on the floor with laughter for hours one night!

But back to reality- translation errors ARE a real pain in these descriptions, because they can lead to "mis-describing" a fiddle or other item, and lead to dissatisfaction on both ends of a transaction. Such as the guy who wants to sell just the front or back of a fiddle!