Maestronet Forums

Herdim post setter

Andres Sender

I'm not sure who makes the 'French' model, but the Herdim 'English' model is essentially cut from flat stock and then bent and (in my case at least, crudely) ground to shape. Nicer versions of the 'English' design have more elegant lines. The 'French' version looks like bent rod with a 'handle' put on the middle and a hook put on one end.

You are correct, I also could not see much of a difference in the catalog photos which is why I ended up ordering the French one. I thought it was very similar to the Herdim expect for the extreme price difference. Although the French one works well, I find it a bit heavy and bulky, workmanship is not that great on it either. I would guess that the price you pay is for the brand name, but without actually comparing them side by side it's difficult to say for sure.

The expensive one is quite a bit nicer. The cheap one has the middle and (it also used to have--does it now?) the relatively large and crude hook on the end made separately and smashed on. The expensive one is light, easier to handle, and made of four pieces welded together. The hook part is thin and has no edges to catch on the f-holes. The cheap one is like a bad cartoon of the expensive one.