Sign in to follow this  
PianoTeacher

Classical Piano Books for Teaching

Hi all,

I used to read the Fingerboard all the time when I was studying the violin about 4 years ago and haven't been back since then. Now I'm more involved with teaching piano to several kids(as a hobby, aside from my fun semiconductor engineering design job ), and wanted to be more serious about it. I'm located in Atlanta, but learned piano through the Royal Conservatory system (Toronto, Canada). I'm wondering if there is a similar system (a set of books) that I could use that is U.S. based, that I can use for my students. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've taught using the Bastien and Alfred books, and wanted to know if there were other book series out there, with a classical influence. Something similar to the Royal Conservatory Toronto Books (Fredrick Harris is the publisher) would be great since I'm used to that method already.

Thanks,

Kenneth Chang

I'm not a piano teacher or even much of a piano player, but in general I have noticed that the U.S. doesn't seem to have the same straighforward and comprehensice methods like those I have heard of being used in Canada and other countries. That said my advice would be to go ahead and use the Royal Conservatory books if you are able to find them for sale in the United States, and if you feel they contain the best material for your students. Just use what you think would be best for your students' musical and techincal development. In fact I believe I have heard of teachers here in the U.S. who teach using the Royal conservatory syllabus.

Thanks Lillian for your opinion. I was thinking of doing that since I like the Royal Conservatory series and bought the Syllabus the last time I was visiting Ottawa(home!) as well as my old Theory book. I looked around in the bookstores in Atlanta, and didn't see anything as comprehensive as the RC books. One of the things that held me back was the future for my students, and not having formal exams for them like the Royal Conservatory system. But it doesn't seem like there are any formal exams(like the RC ones) in at least Atlanta, after talking to a few other piano teachers.

On 3/3/2005 at 3:39 AM, PianoTeacher said:

Hi all,

I used to read the Fingerboard all the time when I was studying the violin about 4 years ago and haven't been back since then. Now I'm more involved with teaching piano to several kids(as a hobby, aside from my fun semiconductor engineering design job ), and wanted to be more serious about it. I'm located in Atlanta, but learned piano through the Royal Conservatory system (Toronto, Canada). I'm wondering if there is a similar system (a set of books) that I could use that is U.S. based, that I can use for my students. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've taught using the Bastien and Alfred books, and wanted to know if there were other book series out there, with a classical influence. Something similar to the Royal Conservatory Toronto Books (Fredrick Harris is the publisher) would be great since I'm used to that method already.

Thanks,

Kenneth Chang

I am really book is most helpful for keyboard learner but my in personal experience with violin learning period, I never book just have follow the note of teacher and practiced a lot in my home. Now I am a violinist and violin blogger. I have a personal website where I have listed best violin and different violin reviews. Thanks