Maestronet Forums

jumping back in

moriyah

Hey all,

I started playing the violin back in the 5th grade (im now 22 as of yesterday. ) I played all the way up until highschool, but never much after that because of not having my own instrument and not being able to afford to rent or buy my own violin. Well, I now after long wanting to get back into the habit of playing I have got a new student violin and am ready to jump back in... Problem is I see how much damage being out of practice for the past 3 or so years has done! I used to consider myself like a good "intermediate" player... I was great by ear, but sight reading was defintely my weak point. Is there anyone else that has made somewhat of a comeback after taking an over-extended hiatus? I feel like a beginner again. I was never the best in my orchestra by any means but I feel so out of touch now.

Well my hope is to begin practicing on a regualar basis. Getting a private teacher would be more than awesome but its not something I can afford right now (I don't even know if there are any in the Barstow, CA area). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what types of books or tools I can use to get back into shape?

I have the people at my congregation wanting me to play in the worship team- which I first thought was great, but now that I'm seeing the reality of my playing...

Any help, suggestions would be great.

I know exactly what you mean. I took a 10-year break. It took me weeks to let go of the fact that I "used to be able to play" and accept that the best way to get back up there was to start right at the beginning with the basics. If you can't afford a teacher, try to find someone else to play with regularly.

There are a lot of "teach yourself" books out there, but get Simon Fischer's Basics if you can't afford anything else (or borrow it from your local library); there's an exercise in there for just about everything. And there's lots of free stuff on the internet.

If you can afford to spend anything on books, videos, etc. your money would be better spent on a few lessons with a good live teacher who can give you feedback. Explain your money situation and that you only can do (2-3) lessons right now -- ask if the teacher would be willing. That said, the previous posts' recommendations are good for non-interactive learning. Using a tape recorder to record yourself (and if you do find a teacher and take those lessons, tape them) is helpful when you know how to fix the problems you hear, but you may not be at that point yet. Good luck!

I agree about getting a teacher to get you back into shape. However, since you are not exactly a beginner, go back to your old books and scales and work on them. If you keep on at it regularly, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to catch up to your former level.

How about trying out for a community orchestra or something? You can learn lots of stuff from group playing.

thats encouraging...thanks. =) Getting into a community orchestra would be awesome... I really miss playing in a group. However I have to find out if my small town even has one. There is a community college right down the street from me. I suppose I could find out if they have a music program.

I am 50 now and started reading music and taking violin from scratch at 47. I now play in worship, community orchestra, and a string quartet. So, I know you can do it especially having a start in your youth. When you first start playing with groups, one important skill is learning when and how to "fake play" silent when you get lost or haven't learned a piece well. Nothing worse than someone that dosen't know they are off and keeps on playing!

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot overemphasize how important it was for me to get a teacher when I decided to jump back in after 25 years. I tried for a year without a teacher and got nowhere. Now, after a number of years with two teachers, I am a much better player than I was when I originally stopped. Without a teacher, you are likely to fall into bad habits that will be difficult to undo. Also, remember that you do not necessarily have to have weekly lessons; you can space them out a bit and save some money that way. It should not be hard for you to find a teacher somewhere near where you live. I would advise you to do so and find some way to pay for it, even if it means babysitting the teacher's kids once a week..

Hi Moriyah, A long time ago I also took a long break from playing . I got back in shape by working on scales and pieces that were familiar, that I had played well before. The key is to practise every single day until you are back. Also listen to CD's of fine performances- These will stay with you and unconsciously influence your playing for the better. Good luck, Larry.

thank you all for your advice and encouragement. I am trying to practice everyday, and hopefully in the near future will be able to get a private teacher. I do feel like I am getting better and I know having someone to guide me would help greatly. I used to listen to classical music as I wound down and slept...perhaps Ill start doing that again. =)

thanks again all!

moriyah

HI, Some basic:

(1) Tune your violin real good.

(2) Play each note of full value (right pitch,correct duration)

(3) Watch your bow hold

(4) Play with full confidence

You are fine and you will be able to play Mozart in no time, I believe. There is no need for me to say all these. /yuen/