Maestronet Forums

Coda bow?

Oscar

Poor quality pics, hard to tell. Coda did discontinue the use of the French eye on the frog about 2-3 years ago on the Conservatory model, so it's possible it's an older bow, but definitely not a "brand new" one. I also find it interesting that they didn't display the side of the bow with the Coda "stamp" on the shaft.

Same user also listed Coda Conservatory viola and cello bows. Both have the same dodgy-quality pix of the non-stamped side of the frog, but there is something very strange about the inlaid eye on the viola bow. Not a plain French, but doesn't look like a Coda logo either. I emailled this seller asking to see more pix of the violin bow, including the other side of the frog, but have no response yet.

My daughter has a 3/4 Coda Conservatory that has the tradmark on the frog. If I was selling the real thing I would make sure I had a photograph that shows it. I bought it for last year at Quinn Violins and their current price for a "New" Coda bow is 355.50 with free shipping! So for a hundred dollars more you would be able to have one of these bows!

Yuen,

Why ebay--to save some money. The dealer price on codas seem to be price controlled. It's amazing that every dealer seems to sell at a fixed price within a dollar of each other. Clearly, the savings are ephemeral if you are being sold a fake.

Why carbon bows -- the safety of buying something of known quality. Otherwise, buying a bow is a blind sale. It's like a diamond. Unless the buyer is very knowledgable, you have to rely on the seller being honest as well as able and willing to sell at a reasonable margin. I for one have no idea how to know whether a bow is pernambuco, whether the pernambuco is of good quality, etc. There seems to be a sizable opinion that codas represent qood PQR and hit a reasonable price point. I wonder what the wholesale price of the codas are?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There seems to be a sizable opinion that codas represent qood PQR and hit a reasonable price point. I wonder what the wholesale price of the coda...

++++++++++++++++++++++++

True , finding a good pernambuco bow at a reasonable price is a sheer luck this day. I cannot help thinking ( dare not ask) these bow makers must have changed their profession, doing what?

My problem is that I would not know a good pernambuco bow even if it were staring me in the face. Maybe that is why I am a "stranger" in a strange land here? However, I think I have a lot of company. I see lots of bows on ebay having the branding marks of venerable makers -- Hill, Laberte,etc--being sold on ebay for higher prices than their unbranded siblings solely on the basis that the buyer thinks he/she is getting the real deal. I will say, having read most of the recent threads on this discussion board--that my eyes are wide open to the rampant abuse that goes on in the ebay violin/cello sales. At this point, I would have to say that ebay can only be used to purchase $200-$700 violins from well-known European productions (Juzek, Heberlein, Duerer, Lyon& Healy) or face the probable risk that you are being ripped off. The caveat emptor for prosective bow purchasers is even greater. If you cant even trust someone selling a codabow...forget about someone selling a wood bow.

In the old days, when in the time of plenty, pernambuco wood were used widely to make bows. You did not have to ask if it was made of pernembuco wood, it was a silly question. Pernambuco is just better quality Brazil wood as I was told and was shown by a luthier here, it looks densed grain wood( pernambuco). So I went back home and looked at my two bows. Rightly, they looked (at the tip) a lot of densed as the luthier said (pernambuco). Why pernambuco? I guess it is stronger and lighter (my observation only, no one told me). Your problem is not a problem as it seems. Go to some expensive violin shops ;ask them to show you some pernambuco bows and brazil wood bows, some are same and some are not (densed or not, strong or not)) You learn their difference right away. My student bow is brazil wood bow, I can tell right away (not a bad bow by any mean). Two my fancy bows are pernambuco (one from pawn shop one from William Lewis,Chicago).

ps. I bought the Rao bow first (from William Lewis shop) then one day I saw a bow in a pawn shop ,I could not resist to buy another one at a basement price. As you said not everyone knows a pernambuco bow. /yuen/

There are a few exceptions to your generalization. I bought a very good bow direct from a very good known bowmaker, who listed it on ebay to test the waters as a marketing venue. That was evident from the listing and easily checked directly with the maker. I paid less than half of what his bows normally sell for, and he hasn't been back on ebay since, for obvious reasons. I also know of one very fine old bow recently sold on ebay, but that buyer simply lucked out that the seller was rock-solid. That same buyer shortly later paid a lot of money for a fake bow (see the discussion on the 'Sartory bow' on the ICS website). Caveat emptor.

Got this email from the seller this morning:

"I HAVE HAD AN UNFORTUNATE SITUATION. IT SEEMS THAT SOMEONE HAS TAKEN MY CODA BOW AND HAVE TAKEN MY FROG WITH THE SILVER CROSS THROUGH IT AND PUT ON WITH A CIRCLE WITH THE EYE. MY FRIEND HAS HER OWN DEALERSHIP AND SELLS VIOLINS TO THE SURROUNDING SCHOOLS AND IS NOW DOING AN INVESTIGATION ON THIS MATTER. SORRY FOR THE MISREPRESENTATION . I AM NOT SELLING THIS BOW AND IF ANYONE BIDS ON IT THEY ARE BEING INFORMED OF THIS PROBLEM. AS SOON AS I GET ANOTHER CODA BOW I WILL LIST IT AT THE SAME LOW PRICE. IT SHOULD BE WITHIN A FEW WEEKS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING FOR THIS HAS REALLY BEEN A BAD DEAL FOR ME.SHELLY"

But on the listing, she's added this:

"On Feb-22-05 at 11:34:31 PST, seller added the following information:

THE BOW YOU ARE BIDDING ON IS A CARBON GRAPHITE CODA BOW CONSERVATORY.<P>

THERE HAVE BEEN MANY CONCERNS THAT BECAUSE OF THE PARISIAN EYE WHICH APPEARS ON THE FROG MIGHT INDICATE THAT IT IS NOT A TRADEMARK USED BY CODA. YOU MAY BE THINKING OF THE CROSS WHICH APPEARS ON THE FROG.<P>

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO VARIFY THIS PARISIAN EYE WITH CODA, PLEASE DO SO BY CALLING 1 888 CODA BOW, THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT THE PARISIAN EYE IS ON SOME OF THEIR BOWS.<P>

THIS IS A GREAT VALUE FOR SUCH A BOW AS THIS ONE.<P>

THANK YOU"

The cello bow has been taken off eBay, but the violin and viola bows are still there...