Maestronet Forums

old violin

raymondo324

i have a very old violin i has no label inside but it does appear to be stamped inside julian a lapinski it is also embrosed on its bridge j a lapinski and also there is pencil writing on the underside of the bridge. the tail piece is inlaid with a brass shield and the tuners have inlaid brass diamonds .i am sorry to say i can find nothing to better identify this instrument. if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it

Hello and welcome "raymondo324",

I have checked Wm. Henleys Dictionary of Violin and Bow Makers and also Violin Makers of the United States by Thomas Wenberg and find no record of Julian A Lapinski.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to identify a violin from one photo but there are very knowledgable people on this board who may venture an opinion.

Many reputable violin shops also give verbal opinions for a slight fee. Might be worth considering if you live near a metropolitan area.

Jimbow

Ray,

These 2 books are kind of the "Bibles" for initial review when identifying violin makers. There are many more and, just because your violin maker is not listed, doesn't mean you don't have a good, respectable violin.

These books are just a start in your "detective work"!.

Good luck!

Jimbow

• 10 years later...

Dear Enthusiast and raymondo324,

I also own a violin with the name, "Julian A. Lapinski"  stamped all over the inside of it.  I saw in a later reply to raymondo324 that the granddaughter of Mr. Lapinski has been searching for these violins for years.  She has only found three so far.  Apparently, her grandfather, a luthier, was responsible for upkeeping the string instruments of the New York Philharmonic.  He also made 10-15 violins himself.  I believe raymondo324's violin may be #4 and mine may be #5.  

I have sent a message to his granddaughter.  I hope she responds.  I shall update as I obtain more information.

Regards,

Elaine0421

• 3 years later...

One of these "Julian A Lapinski" violins just showed up in my shop.  It is stamped at least twice inside of the violin, but also bears the label "Domenicus Montagnana sub signo cremonae venetia".  Wondering if any of the other Lapinski violins have labels in addition to the stamps...?  This one has a one-piece, slab-cut back.