Sign in to follow this  
Michael303

great Rachmaninov!

Hello there, I think pianist Lang Lang gives a great performance of (my favorite) Sergei Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with the Russian Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre and conductor Valery Gergiev. I really enjoyed it.

if you get the Naxos Historical recordings you can hear Rachmaninoff himself play that piece and his concerti. It is quite an experience.

I've only heard Yundi Li's Chopin and La Campanella, but yes, I like him better. I guess it's inevitable they're always compared, since they're both Chinese, similar age, and are using the media machine in unconventional ways.

Lang Lang has immense technical talent, but I find him lacking emotionally. And his stage presence drives me insane.

I don't particularly like the Paganini Rhapsody, but my favorite is Kapell/Reiner. An absolutely marvellous performance! Moiseiwitsch and the composer himself also made great recordings.

T.

Helene Grimaud plays Rach also. Her new rectical is about Rach and Chopin. You will find more info and an eplayer to listen to it on her website helenegrimaud.com. You will find a picture of her attached

I hope this was any help for people interested in Rachmaninov

In four years, no one has commented on Michelangeli's rendition of Rachmaninov's P.C. # 4!?

In fact, no one here seems to acknowledge who A.B. Michelangeli was!

That is a tragic omission. For shame!

Alain-Michel