Maestronet Forums

Remarkable one piece back Gilgi

janet

I'm considering purchasing a one piece back Gliga viola (price range $1,560) on ebay. It's described as remarkable. What would make it remarkable that I should buy it. Anybody have experience w/ violinlovers.com and their Gliga violas? thanks for any input (sorry not sure how to link Item number: 3779257010)

Janet,

I have purchased two Gliga violins from violinslover.com (actually through e-bay) and I have been very happy with both instruments. Personally, though, for over $1500 I would look at some older, lesser-known maker's instruments.

If you are still undeterred, give the Gliga Gama a look. The Gama instrument line is their best line in terms of "bang for your buck", IMO. You get high quality beautiful wood, professional finishing, a good setup (usually), and a great sound overall. The only differences between the Gama and the Maestro line are slightly better grade of wood and varnish. Many Gama instruments actually sound (and look) better than a lot of the Maestro instruments. And, don't let the Maesto certificate fool you--from my understanding, Maestro instruments are not made solely by the hand of Vasile or Christian. They are simply a slightly better grade of instrument from Gliga's workshop. In my opinion, it doesn't warrant the exorbitant price hike between the two models. Also, make sure you buy off e-bay. The prices on e-bay are significantly lower than the prices on the website, yet the instruments are exactly the same. Also, if you do get one, you may want to change the strings. Once put on some Pirastro Eudoxas, the violin sounded excellent and responsive, but not too loud. I may try some Pirazzi's on it at a later date.

Good luck viola hunting!

Janet,

We are the only people regularly importing Gligas into the UK. We import on average perhaps 16 a month. I have to agree that the Maestro carries a large premium for the signature and certificate (and in the case of the maestro special, the "fancy bits". The last week here will serve as an example:

We sent out four violins on approval to a teacher, two Gama 2s (one Strad one Guaneri) and two maestro specials. One of the Maestro specials had had some work done to the bridge and soundpost by our repairer. The teacher says the Maestro specials pale into insignificance against the Gamas.

Yesterday we sent out two 3/4 size Gligas on approval, a Gama 1 and a Maestro. The Gama 1, dated January 2005, is very much better than the maestro (which is a pity because it means we will almost certainly get the maestro back!).

To put this in context, we have consistently been told that the Maestros outplay anything available in the shops at up to about three times the price (our Maestros are £825), it's just that the Gamas are about half the price of the maestros and often play at least as well and sometimes even better ...

Unless you really do want the certificate, my advice is to get a gama and spend the rest of your $1500 on a professional set up and a good bow.

Liz

Ah, I have only just realised it is a viola we are talking about. In that case, DEFINITLEY get a Gama. The Maestro is brighter and most viola players do not want a birght instrument. I have a maestro viola (15 inches) that I have been playing for 18 months and in all that time, having tried several types of strings, I can't get exactly the sound I want. Recently it occurred to me that the gama gives me that sound straight out of the box. I am swapping ...

Liz