Maestronet Forums

"Innies" and "outies"

Ron1

I made this fabulous find/purchase at an antique store today. A real nice looking boxed set of 12 gouges with interchangeable straight & off-set handles. Excellent condition & not overly used. They seem to be good quality, but no brand on them or the box. Problem: They have incannel bevels. I understand it's maybe nice to have these occasionally, but I really need outcannel beveled gouges. Do I try to change this set (seems like a lot of grinding & work), or do I just hang on to them & keep shopping? Thanks for any ideas. Ron.

I’d try to change just one initially if I where you just to see really how good the steel is and take it from there. It might turn out the steel is fabulous and it’s worth the effort, or it might be that it isn’t and buying a new set will be a lot less hassle.

In reality I use considerably less then twelve gouges for all the carving required in violin, viola and cello making so if they do turn out to convert well you may only want to change a few of them.

David- do you mean you actually do most plate-carving, for instance, with "innies"? I didn't think that would work well- they seem to want to dig-in too much for me. I thought "innies" would only be used for trimming corner blocks and the like. Ron.

Hi Nertz, I think I use about 5 or 6 gauges for violin, viola and celli too. If we give a look in the handle of our tools we will notice the ones we really use, the handles appearing brand new (that are the majority in my case) are rarely used, if ever.

I find quite interesting when I see photos of violin makersin magazines with a rack in the back displaying hundreds of chisels and gauges...

The standard German Stubai scroll set has 13 gouges. One is used only for cellos, and one is actually a chisel that you might have already. The others each have an exact spot on the scroll for which it is perfect -- if you make a Mittenwald pattern scroll. Some are used for just one cut, and while it's really nice to have the capability of making that one cut, you can use a different gouge. I think, as others have said, that there are about 4 or 5 that you really need; the othes are icing. (Howard Core carries the set; search on scroll gouges to see them all).

After reading, studying and lurking here for quite a while, I am taking the plunge into creating a violin. I have most of the tools I need from other woodworking endeavours, but I need a proper in-cannel gouge for corner blocks. Stubai has a couple of them -- a 35mm sweep 7 and 22mm sweep 8. Should I purchase both, one, or none? Any help would be appreciated.