Gliga violins

Janabanana

Hi. I am the used to be proud (and not so proud anymore) owner of an Artur Teller, model 100, 1976, violin. My mom paid $700 for it in 1977 or so. I was told once that it was worth around $2,000, but I now learn (just by what I can find on line) that it's more like $950 or so.

I'm also the owner of a Gliga Gems 2, which I bought on ebay for my daughter a couple of years ago for $200. I now have two opinions (me and my daughter's teacher) that the Gliga actually sounds better than the Teller. It seems to "ring" much better. As far as response and stuff goes, I couldn't tell you, because I'm a self-taught violinist and have never learned that sort of thing (although I do play pretty well, considering!) I can play it a little easier because it's a 7/8 size instead of 4/4, and I've never been able to reach octaves very well...

I guess my question is, do you think I could sell the Teller, and, what are others' experiences with Gligas? I'm thinking that if a Gems 2 sounds this good, then a Gama or Maestro should be heavenly. Any opinions?

Also, when considering purchase, know that I'm the mother of 4 kids and married to a school teacher, so a ton of money is definitely out! (Besides the fact that I just play on occasion, as I live in podunk Utah and there is no orchestra within 75 miles of me!)

Any help would be appreciated (or other suggestions...).

Thanks.

Jana

Jana Banana, I like your name! I started playing violin recently in my 40s and have only participated in this forum for a month or two. Although I have not played a Gliga myself, I thought I would tell you that my violin teacher recommends them to her students who are considering moving up from whatever violin they started on (perhaps moving up from a $300 violin to the $500-$1000 range, I would guess). Several have bought the Gems and one has bought the Gama, and she said both she and the student have been very happy with the value and quality of all of them.

I adore Gligas and it isn't just because we're the only people importing them into the UK : I do play them as well!

I am sure ytou could sell the Teller on ebay. You won't get very much for it though, I would feel inclined to suggest you keep it.

Yes the Gama is better than the Gems, a little less dark, certainly clearer, louder, better set up. I don't think the Maestro is significantly better than the Gama.

Liz

Your next violin should be a lot better than current one, or don't change it. Bring your current violin to a luthier, see if any adjustment needed to be made. New bridge, soundpost, strings, new bows, rehair your bow, reset the neck (?) expensive sometime. etc. Just my thought. German factory violins are cheap but they used good wood for the top where is most important(wisdom shown) /yuen/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One more question -- I was always told that the grain had a lot to do with quality, but as I view photos of some of the instruments for sale in the $150,000 range, the grain isn't really impressive. So, is the grain thing a farce?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It takes a lot of (combinations of) things for a violin to be "good" (resonate lively,overtone consideration). (e.g. neck angle, ach, inside air volume etc )Only a genius can figure them out. People in this forun, like Mr.Darnton, Jacob, S.Perry ,Holemes, Manfio,Wallin,Ran dim, scott cao, etc, and others, (sorry for the incompleteness of listing ).

Gains of wood is one of many factor,knowlegeable luthiers have eyes for these things (tonewood).

I always wonder what direction of the wood supposed to be choosen. No one has ever tried one direction and then changed their minds later. No such luck. /yuen/

"$950 or so" seem like a steal for the buyer. Teller violins are quite nice and should be worth the $2,000 you mentioned. If you're inclined to sell it on eBay I'd put a fairly high reserve on it. Also, I'd listen to Yuen's advice and get the Teller to a luthier. In my own humble opinion a Teller should run rings around a Gliga (I've sold and worked on both). Can you possibly post photos of the Teller?

Barry

I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera and try it. (I do have a digital movie that takes snapshots, would that work?) If you go to this link: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/110U-4489.htm

mine is very similar, except with tighter grain (and a few dings on the front, since it went thru my high school and college years -- even got stolen from the music building once.)

Are you saying that a luthier could adjust little things like the bridge or soundpost and help the sound? Also, do different strings work better on different violins? (You can tell I'm violin illiterate, huh?) I used to love Pirasto gold labels, but have since been talked into switching to Dominants. Anybody know the difference or if one or the other works better on a Teller, or is it just trial and error?

One other thing. My label reads "Arthur", where the link I posted says "Artur". Is there a difference? Is mine a fraud? My label also says "Gaugenbaumeister Bubenreuth Uber Erlangen". Mean anything?

Thanks again.

Jana,

Strings and an adjustment can make a HUGE difference. Find a local luthier or violin shop and take it in. See if they can give you a price quote for an adjustment. It may need nothing, or it may need a new bridge and soundpost.

As for strings, I always get reamed for saying it, but I think Dominants are harsh and sterile. Hilary Hahn makes them sound good, but I don't generally like them. Obviously, this is all personal preference. But, before I unload that violin, I'd try either some medium gauge Pirastro Evah Pirazzi's (if you like synthetics) or some Eudoxas or Olives (if you like gut). The "Gold" labels you used to use are gut, one or two clicks down from the Eudoxas. Do yourself a favor and try some differnt strings before you sell it. Check out some online vendors if you're worried about price. If you want to e-mail me (not sure if we can recommend vendors on the board), the place I got my Eudoxas sold them for right around $40 and has Evahs for about $45. My e-mail is:

korngold [at] mchsi [dot] com

If you lived near me, I'd let you try out my Gliga. I think it's an excellent instrument--especially for the price. But, if your instrument looks half as nice as the one in the link and sounds as good as it looks, you would probably be making a lateral step by getting a Gliga, or maybe even a step back.

The Gama instruments (what I have) are a great value at around $600-$750. The Maestro instruments do not often sound any better than the Gamas, and are around 2 times as much. Also, the Maestro certificate would lead you to believe that it is a single-maker instrument, hand-carved by Maestro Gliga (Vasile or Christian), which they are not. From what I understand after e-mailing Christian Gliga, they are also workshop/factory violins just like the Gamas, just of the next level of quality.

Another thing to take into consideration is that you are thinking about replacing an older instrument with a new one. New instruments require a long "break-in" period, which your current violin already has under it's belt.

Quote:

Jana,

Another thing to take into consideration is that you are thinking about replacing an older instrument with a new one. New instruments require a long "break-in" period, which your current violin already has under it's belt.

Jana, I second Korngold's suggestion of taking it to a luthier to get some new strings, and have the soundpost and bridge location checked. Be sure not to let on that you are thinking of unloading the violin, because they will then tell it is not worth doing the work, "why don't you trade it in for something we have that is much better?" If they think it is sentimental value, then they will help you to get what you need. The second shop I took my ebay violin to wanted to help me get the action and bridge height that I wanted for playing comfort, and did not knock the instrument down or to suggest that they have something better.

I also second Korngold's thought that the breaking-in period is already done on your Teller. It's like one of my friends said about mine, "They're not making them that old anymore!" Make sure you've tried the tweaks and strings before giving up on an old instrument, especially one that you used to like. Then you'll have no regrets.

For strings, I really like the Visions (regular). I think they are more expressive than Dominants.