Maestronet Forums

What constitutes a. . .

Pizz

"soundpost crack"? (or a bass bar crack for that matter) Is it simply the location of the crack, or does it have more to do with how severe the crack changes the tone of the violin? My violin has a repaired crack in the top that begins from treble-side edge of the saddle towards the soundpost, but it stops about an inch from the post. Is this a soundpost crack?

I don't have much experience playing any other violins other than my own. Would I hear a considerable difference between an instrument with a soundpost (or bassbar) crack versus one that doesn't? (given both instruments are of similar quality)

Ha! Ok, I guess it is a mental thing on my part. I asked to hear another student play (on my instrument) a piece that I had been practicing, since he was kind enough to offer his criticism of my playing without my asking. He refused, after noticing the "soundpost crack" on my violin. This left me confused. I started to second guess my ears, lost all concentration on my practicing, and ended up going home early.

I've noticed a large decrease in the value of violins with repairs to the soundpost area. Is this actually because they don't sound very good? I know where I stand as a player, but I have never been able to make any sense of the violin market, so I have to ask.

And by the way, I won't be parting with my instrument anytime soon.

With the steadily increasing tension of the modern neck angle and (more recently) composite strings... and normal wear and tear... it is more common to see repaired soundpost cracks in the top of older (antique; 18th century) instruments than not.

A crack that truely stops a full inch or so from the post area is concerning (it's one I'd want to make sure is well repaired and cleated), but calling it a "soundpost crack" may be being slightly over critical. Saying it's a crack that is in line with the post would be more appropriate.

Quote:

I asked to hear another student play (on my instrument) a piece that I had been practicing, since he was kind enough to offer his criticism of my playing without my asking. He refused, after noticing the "soundpost crack" on my violin.

Hmmm, I wonder whether the 'soundpost crack' was more an excuse because he didn't want to play the piece for you after he had criticised your playing? I can't think why he should consider a soundpost crack a reason for not playing on it otherwise.

Hi Pizz,

----I asked to hear another student play (on my instrument) a piece that I had been practicing, since he was kind enough to offer his criticism of my playing without my asking. He refused, after noticing the "soundpost crack" on my violin.----

I think your music teacher would - and should - tell you if the crack effected the tone of your violin.

You may get a more objective view of your violin - and your playing - if you record and play back your attempts. (that is what I do to stop myself becoming smug )

Cheers Wolfjk

He basically said that he wouldn't be able to demonstrate what I needed to improve on an instrument like mine. I like my violin very much and use it everyday at school, so I know it's very playable.

I'm not worried about it anymore. My teacher has always liked my violin, and she has made it clear that I'm the one at fault for producing harsh sounds. She always says, "Now, your violin can sound much better than that! Again, please!"