Maestronet Forums

best stand light????

ttk

I finally sprung for the Lampcraft light last year. It is very good, although I did have several problems with it at first (which were made right by the manufacturer during the warranty period). It IS expensive, but I'm happy with the light it provides and have enjoyed using it with the batteries (I got the 6 hour ones to be sure). I've also used it during power outages. It is much brighter than my Manhassett light (although I think the M light only has a 40 watt bulb in it and you can put a 60 in it).

I don't know anything about the Lotus light.

Although the Manhassett will hold a tubular or candelabra-shaped 60-watt bulb, they do get too hot in there and burn out fast (besides the fire danger, if left on unattended).

If you must have stand light available at all times - and go out "on the road" a lot, the GigLight by Lampcraft is a real winner. It does use replaceable or rechargeable AA batteries (4 of them), but because it uses an LED - it uses very little power. It is quite flexible to get over high music and packs up nicely in its own little case. I carry one in my cello case all the time, velcro-attached to the inside of the case at the cello's C bout.

This is my 3rd "made-to-go" battery powered standlight, (I also have a tiny, little, Maestro (from SWstrings), and a LampCraft Concertlight (the big thing with a rechargeable battery and plug-in power converter).

The GigLight and the Maestro will BOTH fit in my cello, viola, or violin case (so I can carry a spare for a friend) - just in case venue lighting is really bad.

Andy

I should have specified that my Lampcraft light is the ConcertLight. Glad to hear what you said Andy about the 60 watt bulbs & Manhassett lights. I'd always used a 40 watt bulb until I noticed at our orchestra concerts that some of the lights were dimmer than others, and someone told me that they were the 40 watt ones and that I should request a 60.

When you get past a certain age, not only do you not see as well, but there is literally less light entering your eyes. A stand light makes the notes more visible for the visually challenged. It's also kind of romantic to play with just the stand light on and the rest of the room kind of "dimmed out" - a certain atmosphere.

I do use mine at home (I practice in a rather dimly-lit room) but find it's most useful when I'm performing as a dance fiddler. You can't depend on having decent lighting in a performing situation; the hall's frequently too dim, or the light is coming from the wrong direction, etc. It's always worth carrying a portable stand light. When I have my portable stand (and not my Manhasset that has a Manhasset lamp) I've been using a little incandescent reading light that runs off 2 C cells but it runs through batteries pretty quickly and I definitely am going to check into the GigLight! -Steve

A lamp is fine at home, if you can place it properly and get all the light you want. I've been talking about portable stand lights that you can take to a gig. Especially the lamps that are small enough to pack (in your instrument case) for the emergencies when ambient lighting is just insufficient (for my aging eyes).

A good stand light for home, that beats the 40-watt Manhassett stand lights is the goose-neck, halogen-bulb, light that IKEA sells (for about $20) to clamp on the edge of a table/desk or even on the pole of a floor lamp to let you add extra light for reading, etc. I've got one of these on my Manhassett stand at home and get lots more light right on the music than anything else short of a 240 watt in an ordinary lamp.

It took a bit of ingenuity to figure out how to fasten the IKEA lamp to a stand, but not a lot of work.

Andy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When you get past a certain age, not only do you not see as well, but there is literally less light entering your eyes. A stand light makes the notes more visible for the visually challenged.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Exactly, I stopped playing violin for sometime because I did not realize that the light was my problem. I could not see the music notes. Now I have to have the light and also use Zerox make the notes in larger prints. I can see therefore, I can play again. Thank the light and the Zerox machine. ( I am 69) /yuen/

Quote:

A good stand light for home, that beats the 40-watt Manhassett stand lights is the goose-neck, halogen-bulb, light that IKEA sells (for about $20) to clamp on the edge of a table/desk or even on the pole of a floor lamp to let you add extra light for reading, etc. I've got one of these on my Manhassett stand at home and get lots more light right on the music than anything else short of a 240 watt in an ordinary lamp.

That sounds like it could be downright addictive!