Sign in to follow this  
LadyAmati

My first ebay violin purchase, whaddya think?

Hi all, I've been reading about old violins and just won this old French one. It doesn't have a label, I wonder why? Maybe someone had ethics and decided to remove a fake label? But it looks clean. By the way, how would you guys describe the tone of a nice French violin?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

So what do you guys think? While I'm awaiting it.

You have bought a very nice, clean, violin from one of the most conscientious and ethical dealers on eBay.

Tone is a very personal thing. The tone of French violins is often described a 'nasal' but that is a wild generalization as misleading as most generalizations.

Are you a player?

What is most important to players is not so much the tone description but they way it performs; evenness across the strings, quickness of response, harmonic differentiation of 'in tune' notes and comfort at the high end of the fingerboard.

All these are parameters that can only be judged by the player and not the listener.

I'm sure several of us will be interested on your reaction to it once you start playing it (and give it a few hours playing to settle in before you judge).

I bid on that French violin--wanted to compare it to the German one I just bought from the same seller. But so far I'm happy with the one I bought. It's just as Jesse described --a nice loud, but not brassy or too bright (especially after we replaced the strings with gut)resonant tone--even on all strings, and all the way up the fingerboard. It has soul. I'd be interested to hear what you think of this French violin. Jesse, if you are reading this, my daughter

thanks you. We had been trying to buy a better violin to replace her student one and when we went to dealers, they were out of our range--nothing good below $5000. Going to the dealers is intimidating....

I am currently trying to find a buyer for my Sgarabotto violin. I decided to keep my Colin-Mezin because of it's tone and the fact that I should be able to make a profit on my sale of the Sgarabotto. Would it be a good idea to post it on EBay or should I post it on Maestronet? I am completely new to Maestronet and I could use some advice!

Quote:

I am currently trying to find a buyer for my Sgarabotto violin. I decided to keep my Colin-Mezin because of it's tone and the fact that I should be able to make a profit on my sale of the Sgarabotto. Would it be a good idea to post it on EBay or should I post it on Maestronet? I am completely new to Maestronet and I could use some advice!

I'm not one to give advice since I'm not a dealer, just a player. But shouldn't you go and get it appraised at several violin shops? At Ifshin's website they say it goes for more than $20K.

Quote:

I bid on that French violin--wanted to compare it to the German one I just bought from the same seller. But so far I'm happy with the one I bought.

Yow! That price really jumped in the last few seconds. Anyway I'm not a dealer, so hopefully it will play okay and get a clean bill of health from my luthier friends. Will let everyone know how it sounds and plays, and my impressions.

It has an old certificate, but I think I will have it renewed and appraised. It is an authentic Sgarabotto, and I bought it for $8000 a few years ago. I didn't know they were worth so much now! Thanks!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It doesn't have a label, I wonder why?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi,

Among many explanations, let me remind you one more,that someone wanted to hide its identity of a treasure from a tyranny ruler. Smile , a lucky find. (we all have dreams, I am trying to fix my $600-find,(no label) but problematic ahead, I wish I have bought a $1200 violin; but again, no pain no gain, I keep telling myself )

One can wish! Stories of royalty, a disinherited heir, star-crossed lovers ... But a quick search of MNet on "unlabeled" gives the more likely scenario. My hope is that this unknown maker's bloopers are superior to a modern instrument selling around the same price range. Pahdah must be skiing, hopefully he can mail it Monday. All this suspense and mystery..., just kidding.

Quote:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming--

I've made a few bloopers, and sold them unlabeled, for cheap, and not through my own shop. If I did experimenting or finishing of imported instruments consistently, I'd probably figure out some other name to call them, that didn't include mine ANYWHERE. I know that any connection would eventually be used somehow to do something I didn't want done (in fact, I have actual experience with this--remember, folks, if it doesn't have my label, it ain't mine!)

Wow, a thread about my eBay sale! Thank you very much, all! You are right, I am skiing, well not actually skiing but hanging around a ski area today. I am up in Stowe Vt. taking my eldest back to UVM this weekend. Arrived last night at 2 AM and I slept in-he left at 7:30 for the mountain. I guess I am getting old.

Thanks for your bid and purchase. I will ship on Monday. I hope you like it but if not, just send it back and we can try again if you like.

I really enjoy this community on Maestronet and am delighted the members have enough confidence to buy from me. I promise I will do my best to earn it.

Jesse

I have bid on several of Jesse / pahdah_hound's auctions and have also asked him some questions about violins, both his and violins in general. I think he is really a nice guy and a terrific eBay seller, and you made a very good choice in buying a violin from him. I will continue to bid on some of his auctions until I am fortunate enough to win one at a price I can afford! (Aww, shucks, we should all quit saying such nice things about him, he is already too popular so it's really tough to win one of his auctions!)

Hi Jesse, happy skiing or snowboarding. It is COLD enough here in Silicon Valley, brrr... but no snow.

45violin: that Laberte

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

looks very interesting. I priced several using google.

A violin with a Marc Laberte label, circa 1920. £, 575.00

Fine quality violin by Marc Laberte, dated 1939. £, 1,750.00

Marc Laberte violin Item Code: MSA133 Price: £5,500.00

Marc Laberte, Mirecourt, ca. 1950. Well made French commercial instrument. $650.00

France. "Marc Laberte" label on this nice French violin. Really a nice sound. $995

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Mine is unlabeled but do you experts think it looks similar to the Laberte? The scroll is very similar. Or maybe it's just that Jesse took the pictures from the same angle. Maybe mine is one of Laberte's goofs? The bass-bar side f-hole looks strange, it's fatter from someone mucking with the label?

Interesting. the bass F-hole does look larger, at least in the photo. But it must have been made that way. It really doesn't look like a later 'customization'.

This can be an illusion in photographs caused by soundpost distortion. The post pushes the left edge of the right soundhole up, giving the illusion of a smaller hole.

Greetings all, I am also new to Maesronet and the world of trying to sell an instrument. I am a player, and don't like the experience of selling my violin. Any tips on how I can get it over with...EBAy xperience?

Thanks

Quote:

Greetings all, I am also new to Maesronet and the world of trying to sell an instrument. I am a player, and don't like the experience of selling my violin. Any tips on how I can get it over with...EBAy xperience?

Thanks

After reading Steve Perry's post on "Annual violin ripoff warnings" on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bavs/ I would say selling on ebay is also fraught with risks. If it's a very nice violin, I would probably put it on consignment at a well-traffic'ed violin shop. They usually take 20-25%, but at least you won't end up with no instrument and no money (for example, instrument damaged during shipping, you have to refund the buyer's money, or any of the scams listed in the article, etc.)

I am a little weary about purchasing instruments from an ebay buyer. I only purchased 1 violin bow from ebay in the past and i lucked out on that one. The bow turned out to be authentic and I made a nice sum of money when I trade that in for another bow. However, looking at this experience from hindsite, what happened if the bow turned out be a fake? That's a lot of money down the drain, especially for a poor college student that i was. The money I spent on that was almost half of my tuition! Anyway... be weary of your investment.

There is always danger in entering into a transaction when there is no direct contact between buyer and seller. There is also danger when the buyer and seller do business directly.

Buying on eBay can be risky and there are certainly plenty of nogoodniks out to rip people off. That tends to keep prices lower and that in turn attracts buyers willing to take a risk in exchange for lower prices. It is important for buyers to educate themselves about sellers both online and off line.

I don't think anyone would suggest that violin fraud began with eBay. In my experience both as a buyer and a seller of hundreds of violins on eBay, the vast majority of my transactions are very satisfactory. I would say that less than 1% are unsatisfactory due to fraud, deceit, or malicious intent. There are many unsuccessful attempts, however.

Jesse

You know what an old saying "Don't sell a used car to your friend "

Good thing is not a used car, a gorgeous violin. If it does sound good,the buyer can always take more violin lessons. Am I right,Jesse ? (I am kidding)

For your information, I bought an old violin for $600 myself from an adv. (not from e-bay). I have it just clean up by my local luthier, It turned out quite a good looking violin.

The top varnish was dirty and dull. I used William Lewis violin polish to clean it myself few times, but no avail. Finally, I seeked pofessional help. It makes a difference in appearance now. The luthier was also kind enough to adjust a few things. It sounds okay for the time being. No open seams were found so far. Once it was cleaned up, I could see someone carved a name on the scroll, like some kids' work. I cannot quite make out of it. It had no label. I want to put a label in (by a luthier later), but don't know what to say on it? Any suggestion? /Yuen/

Quote:

I am a little weary about purchasing instruments from an ebay buyer. I only purchased 1 violin bow from ebay in the past and i lucked out on that one. The bow turned out to be authentic and I made a nice sum of money when I trade that in for another bow. However, looking at this experience from hindsite, what happened if the bow turned out be a fake? That's a lot of money down the drain, especially for a poor college student that i was. The money I spent on that was almost half of my tuition! Anyway... be weary of your investment.

My point is that it is just as dangerous to be a seller as a buyer on eBay. What if the buyer claims there was an empty box? Or any of the tricks listed in Steve Perry's article? I wasn't aware of all of these tricks like colluding with the delivery person to defraud a seller. Like Jesse said, there is a risk de-premium (what's the word?), and therefore you can often get things at less than wholesale. All my transactions as a buyer have been great, with honest sellers that care about customer satisfaction. Okay, maybe all but one guy that my kids wanted a Dragonball DVD from who was unresponsive until Paypal e-mailed him [but he did not have 100% or close to 100% rating, and my son told me to bid in the closing seconds, so I did not check his feedback out].

That said, if I were a seller of a fine violin, I'd rather get 75%-80% of retail on consignment than sub-percentage of wholesale on ebay. What ebay gives the seller is a quick sale since they are contracted to take highest bid above their starting price (or reserve).

I'm happy with my violin that I bought, and will post my review sometime next week. I'm taking it to the shop to look at the string action. By the way, it is ready to play, so don't misunderstand. It's just that I want things setup exactly like my other violin (or close to it), including string length, angle, height, etc. so that I can easily go back and forth between them.

Hi! I'm totally new not only to Maestronet but also to ebay. But here I am, a so called 'professional' player, doctoral student in Violin performance, and hopefully winning a big audition someday.I am looking for a pro level, if not concert class instrument, and I admit I got addicted to watching Ebay auctions.I actually placed a bid on Jesse's Laberte violin, but was probaly too scared to win. i need and honest advice:is it worth it to "hunt" for solo-class instrument online?Or should I forget it and start starving and collecting money to get it through dealer? How many of the violins described on Ebay as "pro" or "concert" really are so?I actually got really excited when someone posted Gaibisso several days ago. I thought it's going to be mine! And it disappeared the next day, the seller pulled it out. After I contacted him to ask what happened he offered me another instrument, good looking but by incomparable maker, comparable price, though..How should I take such things?Help!I really need a good violin!

Welcome to both!

For a real shot of getting a professional quality violin that you like and fits and feels right, you really have to try a bunch of different ones at all different price ranges. That exercise generally requires a dealer.

Alternatively, there are individuals who sell violins privately, through teachers or directly. Often professional musicians sell instruments to their students and colleague's students. Sometimes this is good, other times it could be "here one day gone the next".

The only way that you can increase your chances of getting a good buy on a decent instrument on eBay is by having a dialogue with the seller and making sure there is a money back guarantee.

Good luck!

Jesse