Maestronet Forums

Workbench design

HongDa

I like the cabinet setup and think I'll do the same thing.I'm too lazy to get up and put tools back where they belong and eventualy my whole bench is covered with them.

I'm checking out some wooden and metel office cabinets now and think I'll just go with them and only make the top.

I can't see the bench dog holes in your picture.My last bench--about 6 feet long had them the full length also but I seldom used any accept the first few next to the vise.What do you recommend for holes- spacing etc?And what do you mainly use your dogs for? Do you find round dogs more useful then the others?

Anything else you would incorporate on a benchtop?

Funny discussion you and Jeffrey had with the chairs.I do like wheels with certain jobs and no wheels for others so I'll have to think about that---maybe I can find one with brakes on it.

Hope to see a shot of your entire shop-I think everyone would

Nice shop Jeffrey.

I once had an adjustable hydraulic chair that was nice.When friends came over I could pull the lever, glide down and scoot over to the fridge for a beer.

I like the cello cart and think I will make one and get rid of my folding utility table I use now.Also think I'll get rid of the towel I use and get a piece of carpet.

Where could I find a magnifying unit like the one near your glasses??

The magnifier is by Eschenbach. You can find them at a variety of scientific and photo supply companies. I use a 2.5 X mag., but they make other powers. It's been a while since I ordered, but I believe they will run you on about $70.00 or so.

Just a note about cabinets under your bench... If you can find wood, rather than metal cabinets, you may be happier in the long run. They mix better with edge tools.

Simce I can see OK without glasses, I don't need the flip-up thing, though I've been through a lot of types of those. For comfort, I like the first ones on page 2114 of the mcmaster.com online catalogue. On the same page you'll find something similar to what Jeffrey uses, but with my tiny frames I can't fit them on well. I had my eye doctor make me a special pair for me, adjusted to my working distance. Just recently I went through the reading glasses at the bookstore until I found a pair I liked, that worked, and the next time I get my eyes done, I'm going to have him put new lenses in them with my prescription in addition to the magnification I've decided works best.

A friend of mine uses something like this, http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/binocular_magnifiers.htm with the magnifiers mounted right in the lens, made to his prescription--dentists use them, and they're about $1200-2000, but work great.

Focal length is an issue. I use standard jewelers visor for close up BUT, the focal length is 8" (or 2.5" with the loupe down). They are now making an arms length(focal length) equivelent of reading glasses for computer work. They magnify just like reading glasses but, farther out and might just be the thing for gouging, planing, or even reading your computer screen. They're sold like reading glasses in 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, 2.5, etc magnifacations.

Regis

The little things embedded in glasses are actually telescopes--they give a high magnification at a long distance, which is great for retouching, where you don't want your head to get in the way of the light. My dentist, working from a foot or so away says it's like having her head in my mouth.

Basically, what reading glasses do is change the distance you work at--the higher the power, the closer your face to the work--like close-up lenses for cameras. And the closer you are to the work, the bigger it gets. The reading glasses I'm currently using are 1.75X, which puts me around ten inches away--a comfortable distance for carving a bridge.

Uh Oh! Now I see what I've been doing wrong! I don't have a chair or a stool. I stand while I work. Yes, 10 hrs at a time, and yes, my legs do get tired. I guess it's old habit. I was trained as a cabinetmaker and the shop I apprenticed in didn't have a chair (except for work in progress and in the office...). So, when I started making instruments, I just stood.

My bench, by the way, is made like the classic European cabinetmaker's bench, with a tailvise at one end and a cross vise at the other. Except the crossvise is metal, not the big wooden kind. That's what I've used for the last 25 yrs.

Geez, maybe I should sit down sometime...

Nice! I'll try to order one of these mentioned in the post.

Funny how a picture creates new questions.

The trouble with wooden cabinets is I can't find much variety so far with drawer options.I'd prefer wood for appearance but can also line the metel ones if I go with those.

Quote:

and the next time I get my eyes done, I'm going to have him put new lenses in them with my prescription in addition to the magnification I've decided works best.

Do you mean these glasses that have an extra (smaller)built in lens up at the top. I really know nothing about glasses but have recently had to use low power reading glasses which I guess are basically magnifying.But I need someting more and more for small touchup and repairs as using a handheld magnifier is not convenient.

Michael- I'm going to have, I guess, the same type of glasses made by my eye doctor too. I had cataract (sp) surgery on one eye a few months ago, but having some problems getting both eyes to cooperate, so will wait 'til they get that cleared up. I thought the only thing they do is to change the focal length of the prescription lens, is that your understanding? My reading length is abt 14"-16" in my regular glasses, which is too far for some work. I asked him to make the focal length about 10". Ron.

So what happened to "workbench design":-) I was hoping to pick up some ideas for my new bench. At the moment I have to stand at my bench and even though it is not my full time job, I still spend 4-5 hours standing there every day. I want to sit! Anyone have some nice pictures of a suitable bench?